Oregon

recommend your officiant!

that sounds so weird, but I really need help.  we're doing an episcopalian/lutheran/jewish ceremony to appease all the different religions in the family, and ourselves really since we like all the traditions.  it's not as bad as it sounds, i'm a writer so i'm pretty much writing the whole ceremony from a hodgepodge of traditional services.  but we still haven't found someone to officiate.  some we checked out seemed open but after one said he had many couples "get married under a hookah" i gave up. has anyone used Bryon Mengle?  I'm curious about him.  After this the next step seems to be getting a friend ordained online, but for some reason i'm not totally on board with that yet.  advice?  recs?   Thanks!!
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie Maternity tickers

It's Always Sunny on St. Paddy's Day

Re: recommend your officiant!

• edited December 2011
    Try this site. I personally have not contacted them yet.. But My wedding is still well over a year away. www.ABeautifulAffairOfTheHeart.com
  • edited December 2011
    Choose someone important to you to marry you.   My uncle is going to marry us.  A friend is going to marry another one of our friends.  That way, you can have them say exactly what you want if you are writing it anyway.  Plus, it saves money!
  • Mrs.FelicityMrs.Felicity member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We had a friend marry us instead of a paid officiant.  Anyone can register at www.ulc.org and they are legally able to perform weddings in Oregon.
  • edited December 2011
    For those who had a friend marry you, how did it turn out? Did the person mess up? Was it obvious he/she was just a friend and not a seasoned wedding person?
  • edited December 2011
    It turned out that we were married at the end of it.Anyone can mess up, whether it's a seasoned pro or not.  We had our ceremony "script" written out and in a folder for him to read from.  Seemed to work out just fine for all involved.For me, weddings that are officiated by "non wedding people" have always been the most heartfelt and sincere ceremonies I've witnessed.  The person officiating the ceremony really knows the couple, and I think that makes a huge difference in terms of making it intimate and a reflection on the couple.But the important part is making it meaningful to you.  If having a traditional officiant is important to you in making the whole thing feel legit, then go with that.  If it's more important to you that you have someone who knows you perform the ceremony, then go that route.
  • Mrs.FelicityMrs.Felicity member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We chose someone we're close to, who we knew would take the task seriously and be comfortable speaking in front of a crowd.  We met up with him a couple of times and gave him a script of the things we wanted him to include (the specific vows we wanted to speak, and a couple of readings), then asked him to add his personal touches too.It worked out exceptionally well for us...I wouldn't have changed a thing!
  • edited December 2011
    Our friend had already done a couple of weddings at that point, plus he's an actor. I don't know if experience is necessary, but I definitely wouldn't push someone shy or uncomfortable to take it on. It went great. We're not religious so we got a book of sample wedding ceremonies that included that outlook. The three of us sat down over a bottle of wine and hashed out a ceremony structure and wording (except the vows) a few months before. Then we went through it from start to finish at the rehearsal (again minus the vows- I think you get more into the moment when you hear them for the first time). Everything was as smooth as pie and we didn't have to ask if it was okay to walk down the aisle together, write our own vows or leave god out of it. The state sent back our license within a few weeks and we're as married as anyone else.

"The meek shall inherit the earth" isn't about children. It's about deer. We're all going to get messed the fuckup by a bunch of cloned super-deer.- samfish2bcrab

Sometimes I wonder if scientists have never seen a sci-fi movie before. "Oh yes, let's create a super species of deer. NOTHING COULD POSSIBLY GO WRONG." I wonder if State Farm offers a Zombie Deer Attack policy. -CaliopeSpidrman
  • AmberStinsonAmberStinson member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am using Lisa Kristen-Scott. She has a great presence and is very committed to making things personal and custom for couples.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards