Attire & Accessories Forum

Expensive vs. "cheaper" dresses

So I have a question regarding the difference of an expensive tulle dress versus one from a more affordable designer.  I totally didn't think I would like anything tulle, but I'm really loving an Allure gown that has just one layer of tulle instead of being big poofy layers of tulle.  Anyway, its pretty similar to a dress from the Christos line, which is in the thousands.  I'm worried/wondering if a dress that costs about $700 will be made of cheap tulle that can easily rip.  Is there even a hierarchy of tulle, or are you basically just paying for the name and design when you buy the really expensive dresses.  Thanks!

Re: Expensive vs. "cheaper" dresses

• By the way this is the Allure gown, and if anyone has an experience with this line I would love to hear your input on the quality.  http://exclusivebyallure.com/navigation/dresses/pdfs/2154.pdf
  • That dress is really beautiful!! I don't really know that much about different types of tulle, but I'm sure that no one would be able to tell the difference (if there actually is one). I have heard great things about the Allure line! It seems like they have VERY high quality gowns! Good luck!
  • a2crane....I'm glad to hear the positive remarks about Allure! I don't think there is any difference in the look really, I just have a fear that the material might rip easily since its only a top layer of it, but I suppose any tulle is susceptible to ripping.  Thanks!
  • The Allure dress is beautiful, I love it.  I think no matter what you get there is always a chance that the tulle will snag and rip a little bit, it's just the materia.  If you're comfortable with the allure dress I would buy it, I wouldn't worry about spending more or less on the dress.
  • my sister bought an Allure Gown. The dress was fab! I would be totally confident in buying one!! You would be paying alot more for no reason.
  • The difference in prices normally stem from the material used such as the silks, taffetas and satins.  I think you have to be a little more careful with any tulle for snags and such. 
  • What makes a gown expensive is how many hands touch it and the fabric. More expensive tulle has a softness and sheen because it's very often made from silk, less expensive tulles are blends, they tend to rip like paper in strips, get holes, or bunch together at the bottom. Expensive tulle gowns float and move when you move, they won't scratch you.
  • Thanks girls for all your input! 
  • An expensive dress is made of better quality fabrics and materials. The dress will most likely fit better. The silks feel softer. The seams are usually stronger. More expensive dresses usually leave more material in the seams to allow the dress to be taken out.
  • It really depends on the designer and the individual fashion house you get it from.When I was looking for dresses I quickly found out that I had an eye for the more sultry and expensive silk satin rather than the polyester satin and taffeta found in the lower end designers.Tulle itself is just the name of a weave rather than a fabric itself.  It can be made from a number of different fabrics the most popular is polyester.  Even then though some tulles are smelly and icky and others are better quality than others.  Most dresses I encountered in the 500 to 1000 range the tulle is pretty good quality, but then again I didn't try on alot of dresses with tulle.Sometimes when you buy from a high end designer you end up paying for just the name only, and can get the same fabric from a cheaper designer.  Case and point, when I went and tried on a Kenneth Pool dress and then tried on a Jasmine Couture dress I actually found that both had the same silk satin.  The difference was around $5k, one was made in the US, the other was made in China. 
  • Thanks Till for your detailed response.  I also tried on a dress that was a Kenneth Pool replica and it was beautiful and MUCH more affordable. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards