Canada
Options

over-the-border weddings

Hi all!  So i was just wondering if anyone had any info or experience getting married in the states?  My fiance and I are considering getting married on the beach in florida and were concerned about the legality of it.  thanks!

Re: over-the-border weddings

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Hi there! My husband and I got married (we eloped and are now planning our "real" wedding in Toronto where our family is) in Texas where we live right now.It was as easy (or not, depending on the way you look at things) as getting married in Canada. We found an officiant, got a marriage lisence, got married. Easy as pie.Our Marriage Lisence from the US is as good as a Canadian Marriage Lisence when it comes to changing your name,etc.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the reply!!  so just to clarify, i do not need to get a marriage license in ontario? (i live in London ON)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    No prob! Yes, to clarify you will not be needing an additional Ontario Marriage Lisence, just the one from Florida that you'll need to get married there. In our case, since we're having our official "wedding" with our family next year, we found an Officiant (who is absolutely amazing by the way!) to conduct our ceremony, however do not need an Ontario Marriage Lisence as our Lisence from Texas is sufficient and since we're already married this is going to count as a "recommitment" ceremony:) Although to our family this is actually the first ceremony.Hope this helps! P.S. It is also cheaper to get your marriage lisence in the US:)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards