California-San Diego

Tipping

I have a question about tipping.  In Belgium we don't tip (everything is included in the stated price), so I'm not familiar with it.I think I'm not supposed to tip my photographer and reverend since they are their own boss. Is that correct?  I do intend to give them some famous Belgian chocolates though as a sign of my appreciation.  hope that is enough?For hair and make-up (and maybe some other spa treatments) we'll go to the spa at the hotel.  How much am I supposed to tip there? I also have a consultation for my hair and make-up two days prior to the wedding.  do I need to tip the stylist then as well?  I have absolutely no idea.Some guidelines would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Re: Tipping

• edited December 2011
    From my understanding, you only tip if you are working with a person through a business or company since they probably get a standard salary from the company. If the person is self-employed, you don't have to tip, though I wouldn't rule it out either. If you are really pleased with their service, definitely tip if you feel it is deserved, but don't feel obligated. So, for your case, you don't have to tip the photographer and reverend, unless you want to. Definitely tip at the spa and hotel. Maybe other girls can chime in as to how much to tip, I usualy do 15% if I'm pleased, 10% if they did not exceed my expectations, and 0-5% if I was unhappy with the results, though I've been known to be a high tipper. Hope that helps!
    ~Margaret (and Nick)~
    Post-Wedding Life Blog!
    A10 Siggy Challenge: Next Vacation Destination: San Francisco!
  • edited December 2011
    My feelings on tips are this: TIP is an acronym. It stands for To Insure Performance. If the person who is doing the job does their job well, they should get a tip - this goes for waiters/waitresses, barbers/hairstylists, delivery people - basically anyone who is doing a good job. If they happen to be their own boss, and they do a job that is over and above the service level you expected, provide them with a tip! If you feel they did a lousy job, no tip.I might be alone in this, but it's what I was raised with and how I learned the value of a tip. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards