California-Los Angeles

Name change timing

I got married a 1 1/2 years ago and need to change my name per my promise to my husband. In fact, he won't go on another vacation w/me until I do (and I'd like to go somewhere int'l the first week of November. Issue is, I also have to go somewhere domestically in October and wanted to book the ticket today. I am not sure if I should book it in what my new name will be, or in my old name.If I book in my new name, how long does the whole process take, specifically for each step - Social Security, Driver's License, Passport (which is not needed for domestic but is for our int'l vacation). None of my friends changed their names, so I don't know how it all works. If I start the process the first week of September, will I get everything done before my trip Oct 9th?Also, any specifics I should know?

Re: Name change timing

• jagore08jagore08 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you go to the SS office and DMV tomorrow you will have everything in time. I don't know how long a passport takes though. I'm sure that there's a website that you can look that question up on.
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • jagore08jagore08 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh, I should tell you it took about two weeks to get my DL and SS card.
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    I have to wait until I get a copy of my title (which I lost) so I can't do it this week. I guess I'll call the DMV tomorrow and find out if they know how long it'll take b4 buying my ticket. Thanks anyhow!
  • erika13parrerika13parr member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The name on your airline ticket should match the name on your passport for your international flight. Don't book under your new name till you have all your documents changed. HTH
  • edited December 2011
    I'm concerned about the domestic flight. For the international flight, I planned on having enough time to change my name, and was going to book with the new name. Why, is there some chance they won't let me have the new name?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards