Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums

airbrush tan day before?

Hi Ladies,I've read that mystic tanning isn't as good as airbrush tanning but unfortunately all they have around where I live is mystic tanning. I'm getting my bridal ports. done on Sat. in a different location from where I live and they do have airbrush tanning there. I'm wondering if I wait until Friday morning to do the airbrush tanning will that be enough time for the tan to look its best before my bridal sitting on Sat afternoon?TIA

Re: airbrush tan day before?

• do a trial firsti got an airbrush tan on friday morning and my wedding was saturday evening/
    My Fashion & Beauty Blog: www.veronikasblushing.com
  • Agree w/ pp. Do a trial first. Airbrush tans come out looking differently on everyone, and you want to make sure that you like the color you get. I would advise at least 2 showers so you don't experience ruboff.
  • I HAVE DONE MYSTIC AND I WOULD NOT NOT NOT RECOMMEND IT A DAY OR TWO BEFORE YOUR WEDDING. It could potentially wreck your dress and it will look very fake no matter how light it will go. I am a blonde haired blue eyed girl and unless I have a really great base tan, i look like I have a spray on tan and it will look orange. (very oompa-loompa) If you are a darker skin tone you might be able to "pull it off" but keep in mind you will want NO LESS than 2 days for it to set so it possibly won't rub off on your dress. I have expereinced it rubbing off on my bra or tank tops after 2 or 3 showers even and you can't exfoliate because it will leave you looking patchy. Sorry..... I have done this 3 or 4 times each time thinking it will be better than the last, but it never is different.
  • I have to agree with previous post.  My sister and I both can't use spray on tans - but for us, they just don't DO anything.  We look exactly the same as before.  I would maybe try a lotion tanner - I like the one Jergens makes.  You can build to the color you want, so if you put a light layer, let it dry and see how it looks and add more if you want more color.I see you would be Mystic Tanning today, so hopefully you got some good ideas and have sun kissed pics!
  • it should be fine. my mom got one and she had to wait like 8 hours to shower but after she showered, the tan was set in place. doing it the day before should be enough time. you just want to be careful because if it turns out wrong, what are you going to do? reschedule the sitting?
  • I am extremely pale and do not like to use tanning beds because of skin cancer running in my family.  So I did a trial of airbrush tanning and I loved it.  I had to keep the spray on for a minimum of 5 hours, it dried rapidly, but the sticky feeling remained, then I had to take a rinse shower, no soap, just water to get the excess tan off.  The next day I took a regular shower and the tan was beautiful.  It did not come out looking orange or fake, it looked like I had just spent the day in the sun, it was a very nice glow.  The airbrush tan allowed for a better cover because the person putting it on can see where it may not sink in as well, which was best for me.
  • I am sure that airbrush tanning techniques and products have become more advanced since 2003, when I got mine done for a wedding.  But, just a recommendation, I would still go at least two days prior.  Use lotion on the days in between to stay moisturized, which extends the tan.  I say two days, because I went on that Friday, and I was too dark.  My cousin, whose wedding it was for, went on Wednesday (3 days before), and the tan looked perfect!  Mind you, she's normally extremely pale, and by getting the tan three days before, she had a perfect sun-kissed look.  Her pictures looked great, and she didn't look "fake."  So, I would give yourself a few extra days for the tan to look more natural.
  • my personal suggestion would be to do it Thursday evening if possible. That way you can do a really good prep shower (exfoliate, shave etc.) get sprayed or even do the booth* and let it set in over night. Friday am take a regular shower and then the tan will "fade" to natural which looks so much better to me. Saturday, the tan will have "settled in" and will look even more natural and wont get on your dress. *I've found that while airbrush tanning does have it's advantages, if a booth is the only option you have, find someone to go with you that you are super comfortable with and have them help you rub down after you've been sprayed. I think the end result is nearly the same!  
  • find a reputable air brush tanner.Mystic turns orange and streaky, ruins clothes, sheets,e tc.Air brush do Friday am, no shower for 8 hours.
  • I agree w/the pp's and would NOT reccommend mystic tan!!! I am very light skinned w/dark hair and cannot tan unless it's the salon beds. I tried everything (at salons & drugstores) in college, and the mystic tan is very splotchy and orange. Especially after it starts to wear off--it looks like you have an orange rash! Although I have not tried it, I have heard very good things about Victoria's Secret bronzing lotion. I am currently fake-baking since that's all that works for me. Just wanted to add a tally on the No-Mystic-Tan side; I would want to know!
  • I've also done the mystic tan. I have a medium skintone with dark hair and dark eyes. I tan awesome in the beds and in the sun. I did mystic and turned orange and splotchy. D
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • stupid TK...I didnt get to finish my post... anyway, Do the airbrush if you can. I have had luck with MagicTan. Its the same concept bt for whatever reason this one's better. I looked like I'd spent a week in Mexico, it was totally natural and even. A friend of mine couldnt even tell it was a spray tan. I think the difference was the way the booth sprayed. MagicTan comes out in a spray, Mystic in a mist. That's the only reason I can come up with for why I turned so splotchy. Airbrush if you can.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • thank you all for the advice. I actually called the salon and they told me that coming in the morning before the event is what they recommend. So i did my spray tan this past Fri. morning... and it looked great yesterday for my portraits. It looked pretty dark Fri. after the spray but they said to wait at least 4 - 6 hrs before showering. I actually ended up waiting about 9hrs just to make sure it soaked in my skin really good. after i showered the majority washed off and just left me with a really nice "just off the beach" tan.
  • Do a trial first.  Also you have to wait like 12 hours before you shower.  The other factor is that you aren't supposed to sweat when you have been tanned...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards