Oklahoma
Options

weekday weddings to cut cost?

FI and I are trying to decide between a saturday date and a weekday date (like a monday) to save costs.  We have seen the cost savings from potential venues, but what about other things.Is anyone having a wedding during the week to save money?  If so, would you mind telling me what kinds of items you are saving on and about how much its saving you?I already know our photographer charges the same no mater what since they spend the same amount of time on your wedding regardless.  i assume the same is true for a cake decorater?  what about DJ, limo services, florist?TIA!!  so far you all have been so helpful! :-) I think i'm becoming addicted to this board!
Anniversary

Re: weekday weddings to cut cost?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I would assume the only things that would be cheaper on a weekday would be the venue....my guess is that the others would be the same because it's still a wedding and it may actually be more difficult to do a weekday for some.  Like the cake--they're use to using the weekdays baking, decorating, etc. then spending the weekends finishing up/delivering.  A Monday wedding would flip-flop that....this is all my guess though, so I could be totally wrong!We had a Saturday afternoon wedding (ceremony at 1:00) and that saved us $$--we didn't do catering since the reception started around 2, no need for a full meal; no alcohol since it was in the middle of the day; and we went the ipod routed (DJ wasn't in the budget) but that was fine since we weren't partying all night at the reception. 
  • Options
    MelB228MelB228 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The only thing that was different for time of day/week for us was the venue price. It was $300 more to have it on a Saturday night vs. an other time of the week. It was so much easier for out of town guests to travel to the wedding if we had it on a Saturday that we decided $300 wasn't worth everyone else's inconvenience. But, like I said, we had a lot of out of town guests, and if we had planned the wedding for a different time a lot of relatives and friends wouldn't have been able to make the drive due to extra days they would have to take off work, and also days people would have to take off work here in town (bridal party, guests if you have the ceremony later than 7 will have to take off work to get ready and get there, etc) for having a weekday wedding so it could cut down on how many people actually end up coming, when it comes down to the wire, and some people might rsvp and then not show or show up late depending on how work goes at the office that day, kids having school the next day so not being able to stay up late, and all that jazz. It totally depends on your guests/those involved with the wedding.
  • Options
    lmf2010lmf2010 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    you make some GREAT points.  Hmmm...  having it any other day of the week saves us $2,100.  I'm having a REALLY hard time with that number!  But FI really wants it on a saturday so its more traditional, and for people traveling.  We are pretty much paying for this ourselves, and it would be great to save $2,100 for our honeymoon.  :-/
    Anniversary
  • Options
    ar2053ar2053 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What about having it on a Friday or a Sunday instead? Some venues offer discounted prices for those days compared to Saturday. I had my wedding on a Friday.
  • Options
    lmf2010lmf2010 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    our venue does not do sunday weddings, and on friday, family would still have to take off work and travel on wed (from WI and insists on driving...) to be here for the rehearsal.thanks for the great idea though!
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards