Chinese Weddings

**buttaflai**

Hey there! A while back I posted on the DIY board about photo sharing cards and asked for recommendations on photo-sharing sites to use. I saw that you recommended flickr (thanks! :)), but I was wondering... did you get the pro account to avoid the monthly upload limit? Also, I read on their website that you can't do batch downloads. Here's what I found on their FAQ site: [i]On your own photos, you will always see the "All Sizes" button and the original is available with a pro subscription. There is not a batch download option but you can have a CD made from our partner QOOP.[/i] How were you able to do so? Did you have to use another program? I'm leaning towards flickr because we've heard good things from other friends about the site, but I'm wondering if we'd only be wise to do so if we ended up getting the pro account. Otherwise, if we were looking for a free site, could you make any other recommendations? Thanks so much! :)

Re: **buttaflai**

• edited December 2011
    Hi Alko,Yes, I paid the $24.95 for the pro account. I uploaded pro pics on there too for guests to see so the unlimited space was necessary.I'm a bit of a nerd, so I always scope out user-created programs for site-workarounds. (That's the other great thing about flickr, there are TONS of user apps out there.) Luckily, I found a program that you can download for mass-downloading. (http://greggman.com/pages/flickrdown.htm). It is really easy to use.Whenever my guests uploaded photos, I put them in a their own "set" and then downloaded that set using the program. Everything I've downloaded has been full-resolution, so they can be printed without any problems =).Let me know if some/all of that doesn't make sense and I'll try to help.
  • edited December 2011
    Great! That was actually what I thought you did, but I wanted to check to make sure there wasn't a better (aka free) way to do it. After going through you bio so many times and see the great work you did with your invite designs, I would have guessed that you were at least somewhat "technologically inclined". :) Thanks so much! I think it'll be worth it just do the pro account until after we get all the photos we want for the wedding.
  • edited December 2011
    And after the pro account expires, the pictures are still there on the site. They don't show up on your flickr site, but you can extract the links. I've been slowing sourcing the links so that I know what each picture's address is so once it finally does expire, I will still be able to link them to websites, etc. Glad I could help. Let me know if you have any other questions!
  • edited December 2011
    and see the great work you did with your invite designswoops, forgot to thank you!
  • edited December 2011
    Hey again buttaflai, Sorry to bug you again, but FI and I made our flickr account and had to create Yahoo ID/address for it. All that was fine, but do you know whether or not there's a way to change our log-in ID such that it's not so long? I noticed that your photoshare cards had "log in as:" and your first names instead of an email address. Did you have to do anything to make that work? It's not a huge deal, but I think JohnandJane would just be easier than JohnandJane@randomdomain.com for our guests. If there's a way, I'd like to do it! Thanks again! :)
  • edited December 2011
    Don't worry, you're not bothering me at all! Have you tried just logging in with the name you created for the yahoo account without the @yahoo.com?  i.e., instead of johnandjane@yahoo.com, just put johnandjane and use your password. That SHOULD work, but let me know if it doesn't.
  • edited December 2011
    I tried it thinking it might work, but no luck. :( I wonder if I should make a new account with the yahoo.com domain? Let me try to explain... I remember our names being taken for the yahoo.com domain, but yahoo carries other ones like rocketmail.com and ymail.com, so the site then suggested we do, for example, JohnandJane@rocketmail.com since JohnandJane@yahoo.com was already taken. Could this be the problem? I mean, it's still through Yahoo, and I can log into flickr just fine, so long as I use "@rocketmail.com" after the names. We chose the "JohnandJane" name because it's consistent with the URL for our wedding website and contact email account. Plus, it's easy for guests to remember. Does my name have to be unique to "@yahoo.com" in order to for me to drop it from the user id? I hope that just made sense.
  • edited December 2011
    Ohhh, ok, I see what you're saying. Unfortunately, I think you might have to find a yahoo domain account in order to drop the @domain.Maybe johnandjanewedding?It's long, but it's catchy. I don't even use our yahoo account. You can set it up in flickr to change your primary email address.
  • edited December 2011
    Okay, I'll give it try! Thanks for the advice! :) I think flickr's going to be great, but I just don't get why you'd have to sign up for a yahoo account to use it. Kind of annoying... I'll definitely be changing the account to direct mail to our normal wedding email. Thanks again! Cross your fingers for me. :P
  • edited December 2011
    Buttaflai, I think I figured out how to get around having to make a new yahoo ID. Turns out you can "create an alternate alias" under your account so that you can sign in using that particular ID in programs such as msger and flickr, apparently. Thanks for the suggestions! When you sign out of flickr, did it always ask if you wanted to sign out of your yahoo account as well? Were you at all worried about anyone getting in your email and using it for any reason? I trust our friends and family that I'm close to, but I guess you never know...? We don't plan on using our yahoo email account for correspondence and only made it for the sake of creating a flickr account, but don't want to risk anyone sending emails from our account given that they know our log-in ID/password. It doesn't seem like there's a way to make your flickr password different from your yahoo account's, is there? Do you think there's any reason to be concerned? Perhaps I'm overthinking...
  • edited December 2011
    No, you aren't overthinking at all. I wondered the same things. I shrugged it off though since most of our guests don't even use the internet and I generally trusted that everyone else wouldn't do that or even knew what "sign me out of my yahoo account" meant either!I'm changing the password after a few more months too just in case. The yahoo account thing annoys me too! It was a merger thing between the two companies. Good luck with it! I hope you get a TON of photos! I've downloaded many of our guest photos at the full res for my scrapbook =)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards