California-Northern
Options

Pajaro Dunes vs. Michael's on Main

FH and I visited these two venues yesterday and loved both! I can totally see us having our wedding at either of these places. Maybe you can help me decide?Pajaro Dunes (Watsonville): Great location. We can have our ceremony on the beach, and the reception on a deck with a gorgeous view of the mountains. The scenery is the thing we loved about this place. However, the only thing you get for their $1500 site fee is the site (Is $1500 reasonable?). We'd have to bring in everything - caterer, heat lamps, ceremony chairs... it seems like a lot of work, and a lot of money to hire people to do these things.Michael's on Main (Soquel): The location is nice, but not breathtaking. We met with the coordinator and she's super helpful and nice. Basically, we love her! On Saturdays they have a live band that we'd be able to hear - which I consider a good thing - free live music! We're stuck between a great view and convenience. We live in Sacramento, so I kind of feel like if we're asking guests to drive all the way to a beach town, we should incorporate the beach into our wedding. Is that silly?We know we can afford MoM, while I haven't really priced out caterers we'd need for Pajaro Dunes. To be comparable we'd need a caterer for around $20pp. Is this even realistic?I'd appreciate any advice you have! Thanks mucho!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Pajaro Dunes vs. Michael's on Main

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I think you can find a caterer to provide food for that amount, but what gets you is when you add in all of the other rentals you are going to need to order. I kind of had a similar situation. I booked my venue in Monterey at a VERY reasonably priced venue (around $30/person), but then fell in love with the venue I am having my ceremony. But same thing as you, I would have to bring in EVERYTHING. So I priced a few caterers, and everything was mostly around $80-$90 pp. The cheapest I could find was $70 pp. It makes sense if you think of everything you need to order: linen, tables, chairs, silverware, glassware, stemware, dishes (lots of different sizes), dance floor, heater, etc., etc. In the end it just didn't seem doable for me. But, you never know what you can find. I would price out some caterers in the area and see what they can tell you. Good luck!
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    sm23sm23 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My first thought here was - keep looking. It sounds like both locations may have some pluses and minuses, but don't quite work for all your needs/wants.I tend to agree that if people are driving all the way from Sacramento to Santa Cruz, having the wedding at a restaurant that doesn't have a view is a bit of a let down - you could do that in Sacramento just as easily. The ocean or forest/mountain views is what is so great about that area, so try to capitalize on it if you can.That said, the place with the view that has no chairs or anything in it probably would be a headache. $1500 seems pretty middle of the road as far as site fees go in that area. We're paying double that in Los Gatos - but we're getting all the ceremony and reception chairs and tables, and a full staff at the venue. If you truly love that venue, it CAN be done - it will just take a bit more budgeting and planning because you are literally furnishing a venue yourself for a wedding. It can get overwhelming and expensive. That's a call you have to make.As for $20 pp for catering... It can be done in certain areas, and also depending on the type of food you want. I think that might be tougher in Santa Cruz than it would be in Sacramento, but it can probably be done. I'm not sure what quality of food you would be getting - obviously do your homework before you book the site... See if a $20 pp caterer gets you what you want before you lock yourself into a site fee that won't give you any wiggle room on catering.Good luck!
  • Options
    apple_greenapple_green member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the ideas! We are going to keep looking, but both of those places are possibilities.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards