Chinese Weddings

New here...

Hi All!I have been reading all your posts and am now addicted. This board is really helpful!  I just wanted to take a second to introduce myself.  Me and my DH (dear hubby right?) just got married in February and we are planning a banquet for next year.  Any and all help you guys can give us would be awesome!<3,E

Re: New here...

• edited December 2011
    HI I am new here too. I am planning a wedding for May 2010. I am not chinese but my FI is. I want to include some chinese traditions at the ceremony and reception. FI doesn't really care- he wants military (navy) wedding. We are planning semi-formal night reception with cocktails, dinner and dancing. I thought maybe we could get some lion dancers to come during dinner. Thoughts? Yesterday he mentioned something about a whole pig? Is this a tradition or is he just hungry... it is not one of the choices on our menu and after hearing him describe it- doesn't sound very appealing to me! We will be going to his parents and grandmother's chinese church in RI for a mass and luncheon another weekend. I was thinking we could have the pig there?
  • StuffingStuffing member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Welcome!  I just got married in April.  We did have a Lion Dance for our wedding, and it was a lot of fun :) and I highly recommend it.  I unfortunately don't know the schools in Rhode Island but I wouldn't be surprised if there is one who can do the dance for you.  You could check with the universities there, they might have one. As for the pig... I think that's a Cantonese tradition.  I know it doesn't sound appetizing, and I'm glad my DH and his family were not interested in having it, but for some families it may be a big deal.  My cousin's wife's family was insistent on it for their wedding.  It symbolizes something... just dunno what.  Maybe fertility or longevity?
  • edited December 2011
    I don't have a whole lot to add, but just wanted to say Welcome! I'm Chinese, but FI is Caucasian. We don't want to overwhelm either side with too much of one culture, so we'll do the tea ceremony and maybe have a little bit of Asian flare here and there in the wedding. Our venue is planning an "Asian fusion" menu, though we may also have a Chinese banquet for my side of the family the day after. Vitamint -- if your FI is into military details for the wedding, I suggest also popping onto the Military Brides board. They might be able to provide great ideas for how to incorporate military traditions and such into your wedding. FI is USAF, and he's still trying to decide if he wants any "military-ness" in the wedding. Oh, and I'm a May 2010 bride too. :)
  • LanaJadeLanaJade member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Welcome! From what I've heard, the whole pig isn't served in the reception itself but rather at the engagement party that happens a week or month before the reception. I'm not sure of the symbolism either. To some families, serving the whole roast pig is a big deal. Even though it might seem strange to you, please remember there are traditions that your FI's family might also find strange too, but we all do it because we love each other and accept the others' culture.
  • LanaJadeLanaJade member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    ehchan, how big is your banquet? and welcome :)
  • ehchan0213ehchan0213 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks everyone!LanaJade, we are planning on having between 150 to 200 so 15 to 20 tables.  It has been crazy trying to find a place where we can have our own entrance and space.  All the Chinese places around here that are banquet ready are for larger parties (30 table minimum). I think we are going to have to end up settling for a place where we don't love the food... just to get what we need.  Chinese banquets are so complicated!!
  • edited December 2011
    A whole roast pig is typically served at the engagement party, which is hosted by the bride's family.  The pig is provided by the groom's family as an offering.  At the end of the party, the bride's family cuts off a few pieces of the pig and gives it to the groom's family.  Also, the groom's family purchases various pastries and buns that are served during the party.  The groom and his family do not attend.If you and your family don't believe in this type of pomp and circumstance, your FI probably won't make you do it.  After all, it's your family that would need to host.  To the other PP, I highly recommend hiring a lion dance troupe.  It adds a lot of fun and festivity to the occassion.
  • ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Welcome!Are you talking about the roast suckling pig? From what I understand, the suckling pig served at weddings represents the bride's virginity. I know that that probably doesn't apply in most cases nowadays, but my mom was saying that if you don't serve the suckling pig, you're basically announcing that the bride isn't pure.You can serve just pieces, but the whole pig would be a bigger show of the family's wealth, which Chinese people always view as a good thing.
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • edited December 2011
    Thank you for all of the responses! I will start a different thread with the updates on the ongoing discussions.
  • edited December 2011
    Welcome ehchan! Congratulations on your wedding and good luck! I am sorry my question about the pig took up alot of your board. I am just learning about chinese wedding and how to use this board!
  • ehchan0213ehchan0213 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Vitamint- No problem! The only thing that matters is that you got info you needed! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards