Massachusetts-Boston

reception venue reviews-long

So we picked our venue!! I thought I would share my reviews of the other places we looked at. Please let me know if this is against the Knot’s rules or etiquette and I will delete this post, I just thought it might be helpful for others looking for a North Shore venue. We’re planning a wedding on a strict budget for 100-120 people. Venue 1) Oceanview of Nahant- Very pretty, loved the room for the pictures and the beach for pictures. Awesome views, awesome deck for guests to go outside and enjoy the view. Only one wedding a day, have to use their catering, packages include extras like centerpieces. This was the highest price of all the venues we looked at, at about $70pp not including the bar. They have a 150 person minimum on a Saturday night, which is why we chose not to go with them. Venue 2) Nahant Country Club- very pretty, has a beach for pictures and a gazebo as well as other outdoor space. Gorgeous bridal suite, gorgeous areas inside for pictures, it’s a renovated house turned into a Country Club. The bar area is a bit dark, but you can take drinks onto the terrace. It’s about $60 per person (not including bar) and includes things like invitations and fake flower centerpieces. The ballroom is large, and has two levels, which I didn’t like. They didn’t have any of my dates open, so we didn’t choose them. They do have more than one wedding a day. Venue 3) Smith Barn in Peabody- I loved this place. Very pretty, “country” plenty of room, there’s a place for the ceremony, outdoor space for guests to hang out outside, awesome spots for pictures. They don’t have a single Saturday in 2010 available. Also FI felt it was too rustic, and he worried about bugs and rain. The barn doors are usually open, but would probably be closed if it rained, and he felt it would feel too dark and cramped with closed doors. Also, it is $3500 for a Saturday, a bit out of our price range Venue 4) Hilltop Steakhouse- it is very, very affordable. $6000 includes food, appetizers, the DJ and the limo and centerpieces for 100 people. The bridal suite is nice. The room is plain, and the chairs are burgundy (would clash with my colors) and there a big window overlooking the highway. Also, guests enter through the restaurant door, and then go upstairs. There is no separate entrance. Also, they do two weddings a day or more, which I didn’t like. Venue 5) Winthrop Yacht Club- This is our venue!!! It is a big room with an amazing view and very pretty chandeliers. The events manager is easy to work with and friendly. The best part is they only do one wedding a day, and set up the day before. So I can go in on Friday night to put anything on the tables or put on my own chair covers. There’s a balcony with a perfect view of the Boston skyline and the water. The negatives are: I have to do everything (caterer, linens, etc.) myself. Also, there are two flights of stairs and no elevator. And the room fee is extremely affordable. Other places we considered but didn’t see: The Lyceum in Salem MA. Again, this is very affordable, my over-estimates were at about $5,000 for food for 100 people. I also heard great things about them. However, it only holds 104 people max. Also considered the Bayside in Nahant, about $40pp including centerpieces and invitations. We did a drive-by but never contacted to see the venue. I also emailed Hawthorne by the Sea/Anthony’s Pier 4 in Swampscott, but never got a response. Their website seemed nice, and it’s a gorgeous view.

Re: reception venue reviews-long

• edited December 2011
    I actually found this extremely helpful as I am in the process of narrowing down north shore venues to tour.  Congrats on finding your venue and thanks for the info!
  • edited December 2011
    WYC is nice.  I live in Winthrop.  Born and raised and actually just closed on my first house there on Friday.  I've been to many wedding at the WYC and actually used to cater there as well for extra $.  It's a great location.  Very large room with a great view.  The booze isn't too expensive, either.  I can't speak for their food, though, as every wedding has a different caterer there.  It is a nice place, though, and Winthrop is a great little town.  Oh, and there is plenty of free parking, which is always nice.I've been to the Oceanview for a wedding.  I loved it.  i wanted my wedding there, but I had too many people, so I chose Spinelli's on Rt. 1.I've been to the Nahant CC twice.  It's nice and the food is good, and the price is right, but the room is too prissy for me.   The Lyceum was nice, too.  Very small, though, and I didn't like that the dinner and the dancing were in 2 different rooms.  You couldn't sit and watch people dance. I went to a wedding at the Hilltop, that wasn't great.  I went to a shower there that was great, though. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards