Registry and Gift Forum

International move

I'm moving less than a few weeks after my wedding from the US to Australia. I don't want a bunch of stuff that I can't take with me. But the cost of keeping some of the stuff I do want is going to throw me in the poor house. I can't ask for help from him because he is already saving up for the visa and plane tickets, and my family can't afford to help either...Should I have a Fed Ex box themed bridal shower or tell people not to worry about gifts and just wish for Ben franklin?

Re: International move

• It is not polite to dictate what people buy you.  If you don't want to worry about getting gifts home then decline any offer of a shower. I'm not sure why you mean by a "Fed Ex themed bridal shower" but it doesn't sound like a good idea either. If you don't want stuff then don't register.  Most people will probably get the hint, but you'll still get a few gifs anyway.  You can decide what to do with them before you leave.
  • We were just married and will be moving from the US to the UK withing the next three months. We put the word out with family that we might have a hard time moving stuff. We had a traditional registry and a honeymoon registry. Both were big hits. We knew that our friends and family would not be offended - and they weren't - they enjoyed getting us things that we can use. Folks on the knot find registries that are not traditional a bit offensive. I say do what works for you - based on your knowledge of your friends and family members.
  • I live in London and my wedding is in PA where I am from. I am going to register on both sides of the pond. Here for larger stuff and electronics, at home for linens and other small things. My bridesmaids are throwing a shower with the theme "things that fit in a suitcase."
  • You should decline a shower if offered with teh reason that you are hoping to not get physical gifts as you are moving internationally. Also decline to register with that same info. As a guest if I heard that and knew this I would get you a gift in australian dollars even thought I normally give physical gifts. Humm actually I woudl do that thing you do with dollar bill oragami to make it look like wedding bells out of australian money. Then I would wrap that. ( I oddly feel better if I wrap a wedding gift but then you could just unfold and spend)
  • If you register at US companies can you have the items shipped to another country?  Do you have someone in Australia whose home you could have the gifts delivered to and then you could pick them up from them after you move?  If this is possible, let your parents & BP know that you'd prefer for people to order your gifts online so that they can be shipped to your desired location.  Hopefully most people are already aware of your upcoming move & will be understanding.     I actually like the idea of a fed ex shower.  It's non traditional (hey it's 2009, you have freedom to do what you want).  Whoever's hosting it just needs to make sure they tastefully word the invite so that if guests would like, in lieu of gifts you'll need pre-paid fed ex boxes or gift cards (if they do those).  Good luck!  
  • Make it simple and create a Monetary Gift Registry.  It's a tactful way to ask for money. www.egift-ing.com It's makes life easy for you.  You print your registry cards, thank you cards, and address lables directly from the site. This sounds like this is the answer to your problem. Good Luck
  • Wow...I'm a little surprised by all of the etiquette extremists out there.  I mean, where do you draw the line?  As a recent newlywed, I know many guests who would have been more offended having not been invited to a shower (due to me "declining an offer for a shower") than being invited to a "non-conventional" shower.  I understand the importance of etiquette, but having a shower is part of the whole wedding experience.  Are these brides supposed to give up part of their wedding experience because they are moving abroad.  I mean, could you imagine the stress you would be under planning a move abroad and a wedding at the same time ?!? Would you really need to stress about a registry & shipping gifts?  Even if you didn't have a shower, people STILL send gifts! 
    I think registering for luggage &/or packing supplies is completely acceptable.  Depending on the size of the wedding and the number of etiquette extremists you are inviting, most people will give money knowing you are moving abroad shortly after the wedding.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards