Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh

Name Question

I'm finally getting around to thinking about what I want to change my name too. I'm thinking of going with firstname oldlastname newlastname and getting rid of my middle name. I'm curious now what other people did, or plan on doing when you get married or decide to chagne it.

Re: Name Question

• julieyarzjulieyarz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am just changing my last name.  My current last name is way to long to be anything but a solo-last name.  I didn't have much choice.  It was either change or not, and I wanted the same last name that my future kids will have.
  • edited December 2011
    I'm changing my last name to my husband's.

Vacation

• themissizzthemissizz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I just changed my last night.  I was going to do firstname maidenname lastname but my husband is pretty traditional and wasn't a huge fan of the idea.  I didn't care either way. 

11-15-08
    12-1-10
  • themissizzthemissizz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    edit: last name not last night!

11-15-08
    12-1-10
  • edited December 2011
    I would rather not change mine at all, but I think it's upsetting DH that I haven't done it yet. The fact that the home inspector called him Mr. R might have something to do with that. (Hey I signed all the papers, the guy just assumed : )
  • edited December 2011
    I just changed my last name to my husband's. I'm traditional in this aspect!
  • edited December 2011
    Like Stace, I changed my last night. :P  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • McBridetobeMcBridetobe member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I changed mine and dropped my maiden name.  I thought it was a bit much to be Kelly Rose Maiden NewLastName. 
  • edited December 2011
    I kept my middle name and maiden name, and changed my last name to his. So I have 2 middle names now, which seems to confuse some people. I did this though b/c I love my middle name, and my maiden name is very important to me. GL deciding! My DH didn't have any say in it- I did what I wanted.
  • edited December 2011
    I am planning on doing what you are. I am too attached to my last name to totally get rid of it, and hyphenating would make it wayyy too long and it doesn't sound right. So I am opting for Pirata Mine His.
    Crosswalk
  • AMK2009AMK2009 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I dropped my maiden name and took DH's last name.  I don't see the point in keeping a maiden name as a middle name.  I don't get why people hyphenate or keep their last name either though.  Maybe I'm just super old fashioned.
  • edited December 2011
    I don't see the point in keeping a maiden name as a middle name.I kept my maiden name as my middle for 2 reasons:1) My last name is super important to me- there are no men to carry on the name in my family, so I wanted it as part of my name still.2) Professional reasons- my maiden name reveals my heritage (Spanish), and I want to get into translation someday. I think it helps to have that ethnic name in there.
  • edited December 2011
    I'm completely in the other direction. I kept my own last name, I'm not changing it, even to match my kids. I see it as I didn't just join his family, he joined mine as well, so if he didn't consider changing his, I didn't consider changing mine. Also, most of my friends are foreigners and for most of there cultures don't change their names at all, so it wasn't a major issue with my circle. Although my MIL and surprisingly my own Mom, are being passive-aggressive on the whole thing.
  • LaFemmeRousseLaFemmeRousse member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My family and FI's family and FI all reaaallly want me to just change my name completely to his, but I'm pretty against it- I love my last name and feel like it's a part of my identity.I think my ultimate solution will be Jennifer middlename mylastname-hislastname, and our kids will just use his last name.  Our last names both start with the same initial and I like the way they sound together anyway.

Pittsburgh sig: Favorite thing about fall= college football!
    Vacation
  • edited December 2011
    I think it's really interesting how people have such different points of view on the name changing issue. I'm with Angela, it wasn't even a question for me to drop my last name and take my husband's, even though I love mine. I'm old-fashioned like that.

Vacation

First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, it's a personal issue with lots of variation, huh?  I have to agree with Shannon- I guess most of my friends are much more untraditional because I know very few ladies who are changing their names entirely.

Vacation
  • edited December 2011
    For myself, I am going to change my lastname, however, I have a very good friend that changed her middlename to her maidenname and then changed her lastname to her married name. There is nothing wrong with that. I think it's great if you want to keep your lastname. Your married name is still your lastname.  If you want to hyphen it, that's fine too.
  • edited December 2011
    Jennifer - I think it's also much more common in the two cities that we live in as opposed to Pittsburgh. (And, that is not critical of Pgh, it's just a difference that I've noticed)
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Shannon, that's a good point too.

Vacation
  • edited December 2011
    I didn't change mine at all and never will. Like Shannon, in the event that we have kids, I will just sign Kxxx Wxxx and put Billy Txxxx's Mom in parentheses. As a teacher, I can tell you that kids having a different last name is no big deal at all anymore. Everyone has a variety of last names from remarriages, divorces, fostering, having a child before marriage, etc. I would never call a parent and assume that it is Mr. or Mrs. Smith just because the student is Sally Smith. I always ask what the parent's name is. I love my last name. And my middle name is cool too. I like the idea my friend came up with...they're both creating a new last name together and changing it. It can be a hassle with the court system though.My DH was supportive and so are my parents. His? I have no idea.What's weird is that I am very traditional otherwise, extremely traditional. But this works for me!
  • elishanbelishanb member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'll be changing my last name to his last name. I personally can't wait. I've been lookingforward to changing my kast name since I found out that I could!
    image.
  • edited December 2011
    I like the idea my friend came up with...they're both creating a new last name together and changing it. Nice concept, but I personally hate when people do this. It would really mess up family history/geneology IMO. Another reason I kept my full name (first, middle, maiden, last) is for research purposes, in case my future off-spring want to research their family tree. It's just what's important to me I guess. As previously stated, names are a very personal thing. Just wanted to throw that thought out there.
  • kime31kime31 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm glad someone posted this question b/c its what I have been struggling with as well!  PS Sorry I'm so late to come in. . .mid afternoon is my busy time at work.  But anyway, I love my name I think it just fits well and my FI's name is very complicated and always misspelled and mis-pronounced.  He is fine with whatever I choose and just would like our children to have his last name, which I think is understandable.  My concern is that I think his family will not be happy if I don't take his name.  Also, b/c of the length of his name it wouldn't make sense to hyphenate it.  But I guess I have some time to figure out what I want to do!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards