Minnesota-Minneapolis and St. Paul

Possible meltdown? Venting...

I am about to freak out!  I am re-reading my reception site's contract.  I am realizing that there is 18% gratuity along with the 6.5% sales tax on all food and beverage.  Alcohol has a 9% sales tax along with the 18% gratuity.  I also remembered that people can't set anything up or deliver anything at the reception site until 3 hours prior to the reception.  Our wedding is at 5pm so that would be at 2pm?!?!  Who is going to want to do this when pictures will be at 2:30?  I read the contract carefully before, but how come this didn't concern me before?  Anyways I am stressed and worried...
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Possible meltdown? Venting...

• AmberDerekAmberDerek member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I should add that I am so excited to marry my FI, but now I know why people elope!
  • edited December 2011
    I just had the same thing happen a few weeks ago.. total panic attack! Feel better, I've accepted it and realized there's just nothing I can do.. try not to stress!! :)
  • edited December 2011
    Don't freak!   This is quite similar to our venue except we have 21% gratuity and can not be at the venue until 2 hours before he weddng or any set up.  When I read our contract and found out we/deliveries could only be in our venue 2 hours before I freaked, because I didn't think it was enough time.  Our venue also doesn't start setting up tables until 3 hours before which freaked me out TONS, but I've remembered that they have weddings there every Friday and Saturday and it works just fine.Could you call your venue and ask them for a timeline to help calm your feelings?
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, that is what I am trying to do now.  I have been able to move some of our budget around, but I hope things work out.  I seriously hate the wedding industry, it seems like the industry makes everything so complicated.  They also over charge for any thing one can imagine...
  • LittleSweetieLittleSweetie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You'll need help to decorate - I'd ask some trust-able friends, or hire a DOC - best thing I ever did for my wedding. Fab.you.lous Event Design + Coordination if you need a recommendation :)
    Our big girl, Cora, and our sneaky kitty, Roxy

Visit The Nest!Visit The Nest!
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    kclepire - Yeah that is a good point.  If they have weddings there as often as they do it should work out right?
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    LittleSweetie - I have thought of hiring a DOC, but I don't know if I can afford another expense :(  Something to think about though. 
  • edited December 2011
    I know the contract for our venue also said we couldn't get in until 3 hours prior, but as it turns out they let us in waaay before then. It's probably just in their contract to protect them in case there is another event that morning or something. I'd check with the venue and see if there's any flexibility there.As far as set-up, if you are limited on time I would also suggest the DOC approach. We did this and I am so, so glad we did! You could check with a few DOCs and see if they'd be willing to charge just for the specific time you need someone there to set-up rather than booking for an all-day type rate. Don't worry - things seem to have a way of working out. :)
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks Deru!  I will ask to see if we could get in a bit earlier. 
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Actually I remembered that you can get in earlier for an $80 per hour fee!  Ugh...
  • edited December 2011
    We aren't allowed in our venue until 3 for a 5:30 start or something like that. My wedding planner is taking care of everything....IMO totally worth the $ to not have to worry about it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    How much is a DOC?  For a full day or partial?  Just thought it might be helpful to get a rough idea.
  • joe&laurajoe&laura member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Unfortunately, I don't think your venue is doing anything out of the ordinary (I seriously need to get into the wedding industry, such a rip-off!!)...we have a 19% gratuity, along with the sales taxes you have and we don't have access to our room that day until 4pm.My DOC is very new to the wedding industry, so it's a little risky since I've only seen one review on her (I have full review of my experiences so far in bio) but she is super reasonable.  Her rates when I booked her were $200 for the day or $25/hour.  If you want her contact info, let me know...see my bio to email me!
  • edited December 2011
    If you're really worried about all of the "hidden" expenses, ask your venue for an estimate complete with tax and gratuity. Then at least you won't be shocked when you see the final bill and can plan for it now.
  • mrs.katematchmrs.katematch member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I put together an Excel spreadsheet early in the process (after booking our reception site) where all I had to do was input the # of meals and our alcohol amounts (bottles of wine, kegs, etc.) and it calculated all tax, alcohol tax and service charges.  It was SO helpful to see a REAL and TRUE number that I could depend on.  Those percentages add up to an extra couple thousand dollars....
  • jaramlerjaramler member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't remember any venue I visited that didn't have what you mentioned above - so you're not getting ripped off anymore than everybody else is.  Also, in case you're doing any calculations - the sales tax went up since you probably booked the venue.  I believe the MN sales tax is over 7% now statewide.  Additionally, I know we have to pay tax on the 18% gratuity too.  So I'd imagine if it's taxable at my venue it has to be the rules everywhere else as well.  So in total you're paying for the food & tax, alcohol & tax, gratuity & tax.  It sucks but it's reality :(  At least you re-read it now and weren't shocked come January.
  • edited December 2011
    The gratuity and sales tax are about right for any venue in this area.  We were only supposed to be at our venue 2 hours before the ceremony too, but they let us come in at 10am to start hair and makeup.  I believed they charged us an extra $100, but to me it was worth it.  I would suggest calling/emailing a few DOCs to find out what they would charge just to do set up for 2 hours.  I don't think it would be very expensive if that's all you need.  Or you could always ask family members to help too.  Don't stress too much, I know it seems overwhelming! 
  • edited December 2011
     I agree, also, with PP that your venue is not going anything out of the ordinary... My venue sounds a lot like yours. We can't get in until 3pm, and our ceremony starts at 4(in another location about 15-20 min away) and pictures start at 1. So basically, there is no way that I could arrange it to start setting up, and I wouldnt ask another friend to miss the beginning of the ceremony to set up the reception site.  Fortunately, there was someone at my venue that said they would be willing to set up the stuff for me as long as I have it all put together before hand and have it dropped off at the site around 3pm.  Since we aren't doing floral or elaborate centerpieces, this seemed like a totally reasonable way to get it done.  So my friend who lives near the reception site is going to drop off the stuff at 3, help get set up started for 10 to 20 min, and then make her way to the ceremony.  I would just ask the coordinator/manager of your venue what people usually do in your situation and if there is anyone there who would be able to set up.
  • edited December 2011
    That sucks! My venue tried to pull this and I let them know that I had asked when viewing the venue if I could have it all day and they gave in. If they don't have anything else booked there shouldn't be any reason they can't let you in earlier. I'll second the DOC - I used Kirsten too (fab events) I don't know what I would have done without her. Regardless, 3 hours will be plenty of time if you pick a few friends/cousins that can get in there. Look at the bright side, if you were at Como Conservatory you wouldn't be able to get until 1.5 hours before your reception!
    imageLilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you all for your advice!  I am feeling a little less stressed today.  I will definitely not be tipping any additional amount that is for sure.  Unless I win the lottery :)  I did buy a ticket today!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards