Massachusetts-Boston
Options

Name Changing - Yes / No?

My fiance is Puerto-Rican, and has a very Puerto-Rican sounding last name.  I can't help but think about what my name would sound like once it's changed.  I'm not sure if I want to just flat out change my last name.  I'm thinking about hyphenating, but then I'm afraid it will be too long!!  I know this is something that really means alot to FI, so I really want to do this for him, but I'm just having some second thoughts right now.What are you guys doing?  Hypenating, changing the last name, keeping your own, changing your middle name to your maiden name, etc?
"Imperfection is beauty; madness is genious. And it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring" ~ Marilyn Monroe Anniversary
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Name Changing - Yes / No?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Not changing my name - I love it too much. And I can't hyphenate since our names together sound inappropriate. But, if mail comes to the house addressed to my married name, I'll open it ;)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Same as Leah.  I'm kind of attached to my last name, esp since it's unique and FI's is fairly common.  Also, I really dislike my middle name, so I'm dropping that :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am doing the same thing as leah, only not dropping my current middle name as I don't have one. lol
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Something to consider before hyphenating your last name:[url]<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ErAz7r7Bhs" rel='nofollow'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ErAz7r7Bhs</a>[/url]
  • Options
    sprinkles2003sprinkles2003 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm definitely changing, but that's because I'm not crazy about my maiden name, and I really like the FI's last name. Made the decision easy!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Jen- those are funny!  I am forwarding the link to my FI.We are most likely hyphenating, although I have gone back and forth about it for the usual reasons, future kids, too long etc...In the end it is about what you are comfortable with, after all, it will be your name for the rest of your life, so you should like how it sounds!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I kept my last name.  Surprisingly, my parents were beyond thrilled and my husband was fine with it.My husband's ex has the same first name as I do, and even though she goes by her maiden name, we found out she has never had it legally changed back.  I don't need that kind of drama!  Having the name hyphenated was too much of a mouthful, so keeping mine was the best option.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ditto Leah.  I can still acknowledge myself as FirstName MaidenName and not totally be cheating.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I like my last name, and there may or may not be anyone to carry the name on into the next generation. But I'm taking my fiance's name, and leaving my middle name as it is. My parents lovingly called me by first-middle name all the time, so to me that is my name. Highschool teammates and coaches called me by my last name, and coworkers hail me by my initials, but... to me, it is a statement of solidarity, a household. The other half. I love the idea of being his Mrs.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In the process of changing (ugh) and it is my current First and Middle and then FIsLastName.  I chose not to keep my maiden at all - the padre and I are not all that close and I am much closer with my mom who's maiden name is my middle name.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Most likely I'll drop my middle name and make my current last name my middle.. all the while taking fi's last name. This is actually really hard for me. I'm really attached to my last name because of its cultural/religious significance and it makes me sad to think that when I take fi's last name I won't have that connection anymore. To others it probably sounds dumb but I dunno, I'm having such a difficult time with it!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't care for my last name I've been dieing to change it! And I LOVE Fi's last name. It's also the last name of our son so it will be nice for all 3 of us to have the same last name FINALLY!
    Marieke & Michael 5.14.10 Loving life with our 2 boys Anthony (3.22.08) and Dominic (due 2.14.11)!!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yes. I am taking his name. However, I have not officially and it has been almost a year since the wedding. BAD Meaghan.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I kept my own name.
    Kristen & Matt - June 27, 2008
    We're married!

My Bio
  • Options
    tiana531tiana531 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I will be changing to FI last name since my last name is not really my "real last name" dad changed his when he was younger so im not attched to it at all, although it will be weird to get used to the new name!
  • Options
    2dBride2dBride member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I kept my name for all 20 years of my first marriage, and will keep it again this time.  Unless you get to tell FI what his name will be, I don't see why he gets to tell you what yours will be.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I will take my FI's last name.  I'm traditional like that and think it is nice that we will have the same last name.  With that said, my FI has an awful last name.  No one can pronounce it!  I'm definitely not looking forward to that change for professional reasons but I wouldn't have it any other way!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Funny I thought I was unique with the whole getting rid of my middle name/maiden name take it's place - apparently it's pretty common! I do love my current aka maiden last name and HATE my middle name so it was easy... Plus I'm excited about being his Mrs
  • Options
    bonniebelle33bonniebelle33 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i thought as an older bride i'd have issues changing my name but it turns out i did not. It was a PITA changing it though. A girl from my month board hyphenated her 1st and middle name, made her maiden name her middle , and then took her DH's name. something i would've considered if i'd known it before i changed everything.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I changed my last name.  My middle name is my mom's name and was her mom's name.  I didn't want to lose that. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    So I've been married 3 months and have yet to do anything about this but after much deliberation I am going to move my maiden name to my middle name (but keep my middle name - ie. have 2 middle names) and take DH's last name.His last name is AWFUL and my maiden name is very generic but it's important to him and he asked me to. This was not a decision I made lightly - took 2 of our pre-marital counseling sessions! Professionally, I will go by firstname maiden his
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I legally changed my name to have 2 middle names: First Name,OriginalMiddle Name, Maiden Name, Married Last nameI can get away with this because my middle name and my maiden name were both short.But I can tell you that I had a REALLY REALLY hard time giving up my maiden name.  That was something that I had for 30 years of my life.  This was the compromise that I came up with that I could still keep my maiden name within my legal name but not insult my new husband by not taking his name.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Unless you get to tell FI what his name will be, I don't see why he gets to tell you what yours will be.I disagree with this.  I'm changing my name because I personally like the idea that our family will all have the same last name.  I don't think there's anything wrong with keeping your last name either, and I know FI would be supportive if I did as we've discussed it.  I think the majority of brides that are changing their names are in the same situation.  It just sounds a little like you're implying that we are all being told by our FI's to change our names and taking marching orders, IMO.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm doing the same as virtualblonde27 and mrssassygrl2008First Name,OriginalMiddle Name, Maiden Name, Married Last nameMy middle name was my aunt's name (she died before I was born), and I don't want to lose my maiden name, and have chosen to also take my FH's name. And have no desire for a multiple last name (hyphenated or not).To 2dbride - my FH is not telling me to do anything. I understand his reasons for not wanting to change his name, and I have my reasons for wanting to take his. If I chose to not take his name, he'd be happy with that too.
  • Options
    cazzysmithcazzysmith member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm ooing to do what virtual blonde, mrssassy and amethyst are doing. I actually got the idea from an Ask Carley q&a - wouldn't have thought of it on my own but it's the way to have it all! It was the perfect solution for me as I really struggled about whether to change my name or not. My last name being Smith I guess I should want to change it but I don't! Too attached. FI would be ok with me keeping my name but I just feel like it will be easier for certain things in the long run and it will make sense for all members of the family to share the same name once we have kids. And people could call me Smith, or my new last name, and it'll all be good.
  • Options
    MrkyrainMrkyrain member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    A question for the ladies that legally changed their names so they have two middle names. Do you have to write out the two middle names or are they both printed on aything? I would like to keep my current middle name, and also make my maiden name another middle name but my maiden name is sort of long so don't want to have to sign all four names. Could I sign First name, middle name initial, maiden name initial and then last name? Thanks for any info you can offer since I have been struggling with this decision.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    For me its a loaded question with a couple of answers.  Below are how my paperwork shows my name:Social Security Card:  First Middle 2ndMiddle LastLicense:  First Middle2ndMiddle Last (They combined both middle names into one because they couldnt have a space)Credit Cards:  sometimes I can have this: First MiddleInitial 2ndMiddleInital LastMost of the time I have to pick which Middle Initial I want because they only have space in their computer systems for 1 initalWhen I sign anything for work or anything for that matter:  First  both initials and lastI'm buying a house right now (yippee!!):  I have to sign out my complete name though:)  So it is a little time consuming on the paperwork but i dont sign my complete name ALL the time so this works!HTH and GL it is a big decision:)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Your signature can be whatever you want it to be.  Mine is just a seriees of squiggles, and it hasn't changed post-name change.  I haven't written out my full name in pretty cursive since I was 16. I once had a male client w/the initials TRB.  His signature was "C V R" in block lettering.  This was his official signature and nobody ever questioned it, including mtg processors.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards