New York-New York City

Fireworks and Sparklers

My friend wants to have fireworks at her wedding reception (in the room not outside).  But I thought it was so dangerous.  So now she's think of sparklers for guests to hold when they are introduced.Has anyone seen that?  What do you think?

Re: Fireworks and Sparklers

• edited December 2011
    I doubt her venue would allow her to use fireworks or sparklers inside the room.  People usually do sparklers outside.  Why doesn't she do them as they as exiting outside?
  • smsuziesmsuzie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree - I told her it was not safe and to ask the venue but she said she had seen it there before.  I found a couple of websites for them but when you see the pictures its scarry - they hurt!!! OUCH!
  • edited December 2011
    Ditto.  No venue is going to let you do that; most won't even let you smoke.  That would violate your contract and subject you to pay a fee (which amounts to a fine). Why not do some funky lighting and work with the DJ; perhaps everyone can hold some light sticks and there can be some flashing lights.  Otherwise, tell her to come up with an entirely different idea.
  • edited December 2011
    they don't let you smoke because it's against the law to smoke indoors.  I've been to a wedding where there was a small firework-thing as part of the centerpieces and they went off when the bride and groom made their entrance, it looked nice.Your friend should contact her venue and see what their regulations are regarding the matter.  If she's planning on making an exit at the end of the night, she could have everyone go outside with the sparklers as they make their exit and do it that way.
    Helene (Nova726)'s book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) Follow Me on Pinterest
  • edited December 2011
    Yeah, no kidding on the smoking, it was to make a point.  It is also illegal to have fireworks.  In any event, check with the vendor but don't be surprised if you get a no (or if by some miracle she can do it, there'll be a lot of legal waivers to sign and some kind of added insurance may be an issue).
  • smsuziesmsuzie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    thanks everyone.  I'm with you! 
  • MrsKocalMrsKocal member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Re: sparklers indoors - at my Sweet 16 (oooooh so many years ago, 1996), I had a vienese hour where they made a big fan fare and brought the desert tables out with sparklers.  The sparklers were in holders so it was not dangerous. Re: guests holding sparklers - my cousin had this at her wedding on the fourth of July last year (outdoors), and we almost burned the venue down.  It was fun at first, but then the sparks started flying and landing on people and they hurt , and THEN the guys got the genious idea to light ALL of the remaining sparklers that were in a GLASS vase at the same time......a small fire ensued, which broke the vase because of the heat, which led to burning sparklers falling onto the table and catching the table cloth on fire, which led to more fire until it reached the stone ground and finally died out. So, moral of the story - don't give your guests sparklers. :-)
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker imageimage
  • edited December 2011
    We used sparklers for our night time church exit. it was BEAUTIFUL! and we didnt have any mishaps.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards