Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum
Options

Email and phone vs traditional RSVP

Hey ladies, I was wondering if anybody just offered an email or phone rsvp? I friend of mine just did but it is too soon to see if was actually successful. Let me know how it went. I would save on postage!Thanks!

Re: Email and phone vs traditional RSVP

• Options
    I've done this for my professional society (membership over 700 persons) for events. It works OK, except, just like with paper invitations, there are always stragglers.  And there are always a few people who will say "I sent you an e-mail"  but we never recieved it.   And there are the people that, even though we've given them a deadline, think it's OK to call the day of the event to let us know they'll be there.  I'm sure their thoughts are "how much trouble can it be for one more person?"  Well, one, no, but when there are 70 who think the same thing, then yes, it's an issue. 
    image Don't mess with the old dogs; age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! BS and brilliance only come with age and experience.
  • Options
    i think im sending out a regular RSVP card but on teh card im stated "you may also RSVP at www.theknot.com" i dont think a telephone is appropriate for this occasion. and i havent heard anyone on any board state they are placing a telephone number but many have used RSVP website and had success thats why im also including it...

My Randomly Updated Planning Bio
    EVERYTHING FOR SALE- JUST ASK!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I'm not a fan.  It seems to cheapen the whole wedding thing, and it seems to send a message that people don't really have to rsvp or can ignore the date.  We did postcards with postcard stamps.  It was really inexpensive. BTW, I've heard that the knot's online RSVP thing isn't reliable and crashes.
  • Options
    At the bottom left corner of the invitation, we put; Please reply (555) 555-5555 And we had 100% response. People commented how easy it was just to flip open their cell phone and call the number and leave a quick message on the machine. They appreciated not having to crawl through and consider several entrees and fill out the card and stuff it and seal it and then mail it, etc.
  • Options
    We're doing online-only RSVPs.  First off, it saves RSVP envelopes and stamps.  Second, we automatically have a record of who has sent an RSVP at all times--no chance of losing an RSVP card.  Third, it means that our guests have to go to our wedding website to RSVP, which increases the chances that they will actually read other stuff there.
  • Options
    2dBride--what if the server, and /or the computer crashes?  Then you really have lost it all.  And of course I don't know you, but in my professional society,  (mentioned in my post above), there are folks who don't have computers and others who have computers but don't know how to use e-mail.  My sister and my mother-in-law both would not know how to send an e-mail if their lives depended upon it.  And if they messed it up, thought they sent it, but you never got it?  And what about those messages lost in cyberspace?  I'm just sayin'.   Flexibility is the key with all of this. 
    image Don't mess with the old dogs; age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! BS and brilliance only come with age and experience.
  • Options
    I think it sends a very informal messsage so if you are having a very informal wedding it is fine but if your wedding is formal it is not fine. This is one of those hints to formality on the invite. E RSVP or phone rsvp says " we are casual and our wedding is casual" If that is teh case go for it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards