Honeymoon Discussions
Options

Santorini Hotels

We met with our travel agent yesterday to begin planning our honeymoon to the Greek Islands.  We have everything set except for deciding on a hotel in Santorini...he suggested four and they all look so amazing:

• Katikies
  • Mystique
  • Astra Apartments and Suites
  • Sun Rocks

Opinions?  Thanks so much!

226 Invitedimage 153 Are Ready to Partyimage 68 Are Washing Their Hairimage 5 Better Not Make Me Hunt Them Downimage RSVP Date: June 15
July 10, 2010
imageimage
Planning Bio

Re: Santorini Hotels

• Options

We are going to the greek islands for our honeymoon too!  I looked into 3 of the hotels you mentioned and they all look beautiful but very expensive (of course we will be there in peak season).  I don't have any experience with any since we haven't gone yet but my agent recommended Dana Villas  I think we are going to book at Dana Villas because the price is good compared to a lot of others in Santorini it still has a pool, bar, private balcony, and it is close to Fira.  I did see Astra Apartments recommended in some travel books.  I guess it also depends if you want to stay in Fira, Oia, or one of the other towns.

Just curious....what other islands are you going to?  We are still trying to pick a second island. :) 
  • Options
    I'm familiar with the first three on your list. Don't know the last one. My advice for candid feedback on hotels: check out Trip Advisor. That is my go-to site before I book any hotel.

Those hotels are very expensive. There are so many small hotels on Santorini that are very affordable. And I will caution you that "deluxe" accommodations in Europe are nothing like the American definition. When we went to Greece, we stayed at Starwood Luxury Collection hotels (using points), and they were not at all like what we were expecting. Great service, private beaches, yummy food, beautiful marble bathrooms (even two star hotels in Greece have marble bathrooms)...but pretty average rooms. The beds were hard, decor is very minimal. So when I go back to Greece again, I know not to pay for luxury accommodations that will likely not be luxurious. You should check out Trip Advisor and book a hotel that is a good value.

On Santorini we stayed at the Vedema Resort, which is in a small village on the opposite side of the island from Oia and Fira. We LOVED that. It meant we got to see the whole island, and the small village we were in was REAL Greece, not the tourist trap of Fira or Oia. We met locals who ran the market and the small vineyard next door. But if you decide to stay in one of the two main towns, I would stay in Oia. We enjoyed the restaurants there, and of course that's where the beautiful sunsets are. Fira has some good shopping, but it is where all the cruise ships unload passengers and it got annoying really fast.
  • Options
    Thanks, but I wasnt really asking in terms of price, just for opinions from anyone that had been to any of them.  I did look at tripadvisor, and the reviews were pretty similar for all four.

Kellylynn -- We are staying in Athens for two nights (figured since we're flying into there anyway might as well not get on another plane right away!), then going to Mykonos for a few nights, then Santorini.  Then on the way home we are stopping in Paris to break up the trip...I think I am more excited for the honeymoon than for the wedding! :)
    226 Invitedimage 153 Are Ready to Partyimage 68 Are Washing Their Hairimage 5 Better Not Make Me Hunt Them Downimage RSVP Date: June 15
    July 10, 2010
    imageimage
    Planning Bio
  • Options
    Lyss5782~

I agree!  I just told my fiance tha I think I am getting more excited for the honeymoon than the wedding. ;)   We can't wait to go to the Greek Islands.  We are also staying in London for 5 days since this is where our flight layover was....we figured what the hell...lets see London too.  Have a awesome trip! 
  • Options
    FI is Greek and we got engaged in Santorini.  We stayed at a place that was about 0.8 km from the center of Fira.  Depending on your tastes, I would recommend staying between Fira and Oia but closer to Fira.  Pay for a view of the caldera.  It is worth it.  If this is your first time, the hotels are not like ours.  Each place is on top of another and seem more like small boutiques.  If you are adventurous, rent a car and check out the island. We covered the whole place comfortably in a few days.  Tour Santos winery and do the 5 wine tasting.  Drive to the old ruins-do not try to walk it!!!  The mountain is very high and steep.  People did not fare well.  Please feel free to email me for tips or my opinions :) at santorini06252009 at yahoo.com

Definitly check out the new Acropolis museum in Athens and the restuarant on the hill that has a view of the Acropolis! Not sure of the name but it is popular and next to an old Greek theatre (not the movie type haha)
  • Options
    Santorini2011 -
    What hotel did you stay at?  Thanks!  It's so good to get advice from someone who has been there. :)
  • Options
    We stayed at Efterpi Traditional Villas and Apartments.  It was affordable and clean.  We stayed in the room right above the pool.  Email me if you want pics of the place and the room.  I was a shutterbug.  santorini06252009 at yahoo.com.  I would stay also at the Bellevue or anywhere in Firastefani that is along the walkway to Fira.  No matter what---go for the view of the caldera.  There is nothing like driinking your coffee and watching the sun over the volcano. 

BTW-perfect dinner in Amouldi at the base of the cliff.  Go to the restaurant (Dimitris) and sit on the walkway to watch the sunset. The ocean was rougher and the boats bobbed.  Amazing!  Probably the best shell fish.

Tip-Order small fish (they will be local) and watch the prices for fish.  It is $ per kg.
  • Options
    We are trying to get to the Greek Islands for our honeymoon too! Getting married 6/5/2010. I'm curious as to what you guys are spending/have spent on this type of honeymoon? I was trying to stay under $10k total, including flights. Think this is doable? Have any idea what you are going to spend? My MOH is a travel agent and she did a quick quote at about $8k (not including flights) which i think is a bit spendy. this was a rough draft but still.....any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much!
  • Options
    Hi hpowless~
    I think it is definitely doable for $10K.  It depends when you are going and where you choose to stay.  I am not sure how much we are spending because we are using my parents Marriott points in Athens so we don't have to pay for hotel.  We also used points for our flights.  We are going to London first (also using Marriott points), then to Santorini, then Naxos, then Athens. 
    On average, I am finding good hotels on the two islands to be about $300-400 a night (there are lots that are way more).  These are hotels with views and good rooms.  We will also be there in the beginning of July which is peak season which makes the cost higher.  I would find a travel agent help and I used trip advisor a lot!  We should be finishing up our hotels in the next couple weeks so let me know if you have any questions.  Good luck!
  • Options
    We have booked Katikies for Santorini...my travel agent just raved about it so that's what we wound up with.

Hpow: We are spending a little less than 12K for flights/travel/hotels for two weeks and anticipate about 4K for food/activities.  We are staying at more upscale places though (it seems!) so it is prob doable for less.
    July 10, 2010
    imageimage
    Planning Bio
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards