Arizona-Phoenix

HELP! Venue Assistance Needed

Due to the recent news of the Mondrian foreclosure, we are looking for another venue for our March wedding. I would love any feedback on the following venues:

Inspirador
Sassi

Tempe Arts Center/Phoenix Art Museum

Firesky

Secret Garden

Jw Marriott Desert Ridge

Westin Kierland
Camelback Resort

Any help would be most appreciated! Thanks ladies!!!!

Re: HELP! Venue Assistance Needed

• ChristinaT13ChristinaT13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I wasn't married there, but the Phoenix Art Museum is beautiful! 
  • edited December 2011
    We checked into all of those venues except Tempe Arts Center, so all I can tell you is that they're all very nice and that the pricing varies between them.

The one thing I can tell you from my own personal experience with Firesky is that we were blown off by the coordinator there for our site tour and initial meeting, after confirming it the week before and the day before --and we were in town specifically to look at venues (we live in NYC), and she knew that. Needless to say, we did not get married there, but a lot of people have and have been happy with the services. I've heard some rather mixed reviews on that particular site coordinator, so still check it out, just be aware of that.
  • sms274sms274 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was trying to stay in a specific area so I only checked out Inspirador and Secret Garden from your list and both were gorgeous. Inspirador was actually our second favorite - the people there were so friendly and helpful with making suggestions as well. Secret garden was pretty but we are getting married in a church and their ceremony spot was what I liked most - wasn't a huge fan of the reception site.

have you checked out The Castle at Ashley Manor? I've been to a few weddings there and they are always gorgeous and the brides I know haven't complained about anything through them.
  • edited December 2011
    I haven't looked into a lot of those, they vary in budget also. I have to echo Celcius' claims about the site coordinator. The person I dealt with in email was not the person I met and the person I met seemed to not care that we were looking. AND she was working a wedding while giving us a tour and was distracted.

Sassi was for smaller weddings so I didn't get much further into looking at them.

The Art Museum looks nice, but it wasn't to my fiance's liking. I also liked the Science Center (they have different levels you can rent out for different budgets) but he didn't want to be married there either :(

--I am still looking btw.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks everyone for your thoughts/suggestions!  

Celsius,  I will take the comments about the FIresky coordinator under consideration!  Very helpful feedback. :-)

Bearsfan-good luck in your search!

sms-We are looking at Inspirador this weekend!  Ashley Manor was booked unfortunately.
    Totally agree with you on the Secret Garden, reception site doesn't seem worth the $$$.

Anyways, thanks again everyone!
  • alschmidalschmid member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    niklaw - what time frame are you looking for?  We looked at Inspirador as well, really nice - modern place and I liked how you could really customize things there, but I missed the more outdoor greenery a bit.  Great location though.

We didnt' look at the other places you mentioned but did look at a few others - I have our opinion of them in my bio
    BIO: Updated 7/28 with bridesmaid dresses

Amy & Ian

image 133 Invited so far!
    image 48 Are ready to party!
    image 27 Will be missing out! (12 kids)
    image 59 Are MIA!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011

In March of this year Firesky changed coordinators, so I am not sure when everyone had issues with the coordinator, but it may be a different one now.  My friend got married there in March and the new person started just a few weeks before her wedding.  No insight on either the old one or the new one, I just wanted to say that it may be a different one now.

I have been to weddings and/or events at all of the venues on your list except for Inspirador and they were all lovely, but all VERY different in feel and price.  Have you looked at these places in person?  Do you want a place with a modern feel like the Mondrian has?

• edited December 2011

Thank you ladies for all of your help and suggestions! I greatly appreciate it.  

• edited December 2011
    My FI and I checked out each of those places :) (we've been very busy!)

Since very few have been to the  TCA --- in short- it is gorgeous! Depending on the wedding size you can be married in the lobby, on the north patio (with the reverse infinity water feature in the background), or in either the gallery or the studio. If you have a small party you can have the ceremony on the terrace (sits 64). The lakeside room is also lovely with floor to ceiling windows overlooking Tempe Town Lake. The price of the venue ranges on the site you choose but if you do the classic ceremony on the patio with the reception in the lakeside it runs $1600 (its on their website). The  other rental rates are also on the website.

One thing (and it stopped us from booking) is that they recently switched to Santa Barbara Catering as their sole food vendor and they are quite pricey. You can google them and see menu samples. We were planning a morning wedding and simple breakfast fare was over $32 a head excluding tax, service, and gratuity. But if you can afford it...then do!!!!

The venue we're looking at now is Regency Garden in Mesa it is pretty, simple and very reasonably priced. The folks their are very knowledgeable and welcoming. If you want to check them out they have open houses on Mondays from 6-8pm.

A note about Inspirador---we didn't notice until we visited the venue---but they are located a small space away from an adult store...they are separated by a small cafe and your guest WILL have to drive past it to get to the location. It was an issue for us because of the visibility of it during the daytime and there being so many children in attendance (def. something you do not want to worry about).

Happy hunting!

~Irene
    Realistic Idealist Extrordinaire Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Updated 9/28/10
    Planning Bio
  • edited December 2011
    'congrats on finding your venue Irene!! 
    I ended up booking the Firesky :-)  very excited!
  • edited December 2011
    1104*Celsius -
    I'm so sorry to hear about your experience with the previous coordinator at FireSky. I've been there for just under a year and I am sorry that we weren't able to meet! The first dance picture looks amazing.

For all other brides, please contact me directly at lynn.lakia@fireskyresort.com because I would be happy to show you our lovely property.

Nicole-looking forward to the big day!!!
  • alschmidalschmid member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Just wanted to add a note for anyone looking at Inspirador in Chandler - the adult shop is closed (or is going to close) - saw an article about it on azcentral.
    BIO: Updated 7/28 with bridesmaid dresses

Amy & Ian

image 133 Invited so far!
    image 48 Are ready to party!
    image 27 Will be missing out! (12 kids)
    image 59 Are MIA!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011

Thanks Niklaw!

And congrats to you! Firesky is gorgeous!

Realistic Idealist Extrordinaire Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Updated 9/28/10
    Planning Bio
  • crandreacrandrea member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Congratulations on booking Firesky!
    We are getting married in August and looked at a lot of the other places you were considering. We are almost booked with Inspirador, just have to sign the contract. The adult store is officially closed...by the way! :) It was definitely an interesting topic of conversation. 
    It is such a relief to have the venue selected! We are getting so excited. We are using some of the in house vendors and bringing in some of our own. If anyone else is looking to get married at a venue with lots of flexibility and great custom service....we would highly recommend Inspirador.
    Best of luck to you and your fiance!!
  • edited December 2011
    I have an appt. to check out the Inspirador on saturday! Just wondering what kind of price range a wedding goes for there?? Just a ball park so I know what I'm getting myself into Money mouth
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards