Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Garter toss?

just getting started with the whole planning thing here and i was wondering has anyone decided on not doing a garter toss? tbh i think it's slightly trashy and can't imagine being infront of all our loved one with the man beast up my dress.any ideas of something we could do instead?

Re: Garter toss?

• Options
    I wouldn't worry about doing anything in place of the garter toss. We did decide to do a garter toss, and DH isn't really up your dress. The garter sits just above the knee and I just pulled my dress up to the knee (I know, so scandalous!). He was going to just use his hands, but everyone was chanting "teeth" so he figured why not. Not really a big deal. No man beast up my dress, no fainting grandmas or disapproving dads, but it was fun.
    My Grandparents on their wedding day.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    bio
    Repeat this to your self: My Wedding Party is made of my family and friends and I should treat them as such.
  • Options
    We didn't do a garter or bouquet toss and we didn't replace it with anything.  We just our guests keep dancing and mingling and enjoying the party.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We are not going to do either toss. I hated them when I was single, I feel like it's saying you are nothing without a man. Plus I agree the garter tosses are too much. We're just going to get the party started! I hate how the tosses break up the dancing.
  • Options
    Most folks skip this and have been skipping it since the early 1980s
  • Options
    We skipped both. One less thing for the guests to have to sit through and more time for dancing and partying! We didn't replace either with anything.
  • Options
    We're not doing either.
  • Options
    I dont think its trashy. A better way to say it may of been you arent comfortable with it but to call it trashy is harsh. Its a tradition in a lot of families and circles. Ill probably have one I havent given it a ton of thought. If you arent comfortable with it than dont and no need to replace it I doubt any guess will notice it missing.
  • Options
    Whoa stage- I think you misread bec&jim's post. She didn't tell anyone to not think that, she just stated she didn't think it was trashy. I will say that I have to agree with her. I have seen trashy garter tosses, but really, nothing happens and like I said before, he isn't up your dress at all. I do understand that some people are not comfortable showing any sexuality.
    My Grandparents on their wedding day.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    bio
    Repeat this to your self: My Wedding Party is made of my family and friends and I should treat them as such.
  • Options
    Stage- the only time I used the word think was when I said " I dont think" not You cant think. I was stating that calling it trashy may not be the correct word since I highly doubt anyone looks at the bride who is doing one in her white dress and thinks wow, shes kinda trashy. They probably are just more uncomfortable with it if its super over the top.In reality though most people dont notice if you have it or not so if you are ok with it do it, if you arent then dont. Another factor is the circle you run in, if you have a ton of 90 yr old women there they may not want to see some big show of it but probably had one themselves in a mild mannered fashion so take it easy. If your crowd is all 20-30 somethings who are drinking and rowdy and chanting "teeth" then go for whatever you are ok yourself with.
  • Options
    We're not doing either. Our DJ was the one to suggest we skip the garter (We had already been considering it and then the DJ pointed out that at most weddings he had gone to that was usually the point where someone ended up getting hurt)I'm not tossing the bridal bouquet either, I'm going to give it to a honored guess (Like someone who just recently got engaged or a grandmother who came a long way to be with us on that day)
  • Options
    Honestly I'd never even heard of a garter toss until I watched an American film where they had it. I'm Scottish (UK) and had never seen this before!! I'll only be throwing my bouquet but I think the garter toss wouldn't work at my wedding anyway as none of my bridal party or groomsmen are single and the guests are all family like aunties, grannies who are all married already! (but the bouquet toss is supposed to signify the next girl to marry here rather than to match her with the garter catcher) I think its totally up to you if you want to but don't feel you have to include it if you don't want to/are worried about it. You need to be able to relax on your wedding day not spend it cringing at the anticipation of the garter toss the whole time.
    Our 7 year anniversary as a couple is on September 15th!!

wedding planning
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards