Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums
Options

FMIL is MUA

My FI's mom is a makeup artist. She's really great with what she does but I am thinking I want to do my own makeup on my wedding day. I'm very fair and sensitive and after years of testing sooo many products, I just know my skin well and what eyeshadow colors work best. Plus, she's taught me a lot over the years that I would like to do on my day. We have majorly bonded over the years because of makeup products! Haha!

My FI told me the other night that his mom is under the impression and was excited to do my makeup and the bridesmaids makeup. 

I know she could make the bridesmaids look/feel gorgeous and they're totally up for it. But I feel like if I tell her I want to do my own, it may be a slap in the face if I follow it up with "but you can still do the bridesmaids!"

Thoughts on how to approach this conversation?

Re: FMIL is MUA

• Options
    Has she ever done your makeup before? Would she be really upset if you said no?

Let her do a trial, at least, and see what it looks like, especially if it will avoid making your relationship tense. I personally don't know why you would turn down a free mua on your wedding day! And she should have plenty of time to perfect a look for you. I say let her do it.
  • Options
    If she's taught you about makeup over the years then she's familiar with your skin and what you like. I would let her do a trial so you can explain to her exactly what you like and see if she can create that look for you.

If she can't then I think it would be OK to tell her that you'd rather do you own, but I would at least give her a shot before shutting her down, especially since as you've said you've bonded through makeup in the past.
  • Options
    I agree, let her do a trial with the products you want to use and see how it goes.  You may love it.

If you still feel you want to do your own makeup, then tell her exactly that.  Tell her you'd love for her to do your BMs but that you would be more comfortable doing your own. 
  • Options
    Trial session it is!
    Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards