Wedding Party

Poll: How old is your flower girl? How old is too old?

I read from the knot that it's 4-8 years old, but I have been hearing different things from people.  I regretfully told my mom that I *might* as my brother's daughter to be my flower girl, and my mom "accidentally" told my brother about it before I could ask my bro/niece formally.  As if it weren't bad that my mom slipped her tongue, my brother's response was that his daughter is too old to be a flower girl.  The girl will be 7 on my wedding day.   Another young girl we would consider is FI's cousin, but I think she'll be 10 years old.  She's just so adorable, though.  They are the two girls that we are closest to and I am thinking of picking one of them, or we'll have to just skip the flower girl idea all together.How old is your flower girl, and how old do you think it's too old?
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Poll: How old is your flower girl? How old is too old?

• Well, first off I really don't think 7 is too old.  I was in a wedding when i was 6 (almost 7) and i remember being so excited.  That is still very young. Anyways, on to your question...my flower girl will be 3 1/2.  I know....pretty young, but I am having my nephew be the ring bearer and he will be 5, so I think he will be able to help her out.Well, GL with your situation, and I am sure your will have the perfect little flower girl either way!
  • My niece will be almost 8 when she will be my flower girl, and she is super excited. I think if you asked your niece and she was excited about it, then she is not too old. If she thinks she is too old for the job, then she is. But you should ask your brother if it is okay to ask her first, because for financial reasons, or whatever other reasons, he may not want her in the wedding.
    Anniversary
    White Knot
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I'd check with the parents and make sure they're okay with it, then leave it up to the kids.  Honestly, I probably would have turned up my nose at being a flower girl at age 5, but I was never very girly as a kid.  Personality has as much to do with it as age.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • I was a FG on either my 9th or 10th birthday (don't remember which) and I remember feeling really awkward about it, especially because the RB was about 4 and I was expected to hold hands/dance with him.Our FG will be 3.
    two years!
    after two losses, now happily expecting baby #1 09.16.12
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Brie Fit Blog | BFP Chart
  • My FG is almost 6.  Her sister will be almost 13 and she is a Junior BM.  At 10, I think kids would think it's silly to be a FG.  I would ask her what/if she wants to do.  She might not want to do anything.  If she is comfortable as a flower girl, then let her do it.  All kids are different.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • My FGs were 9 and loved every second of it. They actually lobbied for the job before we had a chance to ask them.
    Courtesy of megk8oz
    "I think bablingbrooke is the 13 yr old marring her cousin at the town hall. Lets all give her a big hand. And hope her inbred children can live normal lives." -tabs.

A word of warning from your friends at Cracked.com: Remember that text is going to be how you make your first impression over the internet; if every third word you type is misspelled, people will automatically assume that you're a moron.
  • Mine was 4, my friends was 13....
  • Mine were 8 and 5. One was my cousin and the other was DH. Both were very very excited and they hit it off great and were inseperable from the rehersal dinner through the reception. If you do feel like they are too old, but still want them to do the job, my SIL had flower "maidens". They can wear something more along the lines of a jr BM dress.
    My Grandparents on their wedding day.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    bio
    Repeat this to your self: My Wedding Party is made of my family and friends and I should treat them as such.
  • I'm not having any flower girls, but I was a flower girl in my aunt's wedding years ago.  I think I was 6 or 7, and I just remember how much fun I had getting all dressed up.  I think it'll be fine.  My cousin is 10- almost 11- but she is going to be a BM.  I did think 10 was a little old for a flower girl.
  • Mine will be a month shy of turning four. She's so darn cute!
  • I was a FG when I was 8 and I LOVED it! My FG will be 6, almost 7.
  • My flower girl is 3, but then again she is also a Pomeranian :) I think it depends on the girl. At 7, some girls are very mature for their age, whereas others would love to get dressed up and be in the wedding. 10 seems a bit old, but if she wants to be in the wedding I don't see a problem with that either.
  • Mine will be 12 by the time we get married. She's my Fiance's little sister and she loves to dress up and everyone to look at her an tell her she's beautiful (which is cute/funny at the age she is now - just turned 9 today - lol) I think she'd love to go up there and pretty up the aisle for me cos she's always telling me I'm like a big sister or another mum to her. I think 7 is fine, its a good age because they're not too young to understand the importance of their role either.
    Our 7 year anniversary as a couple is on September 15th!!

wedding planning
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards