New York-New York City

married folks marriage cert?

Did anyone else not get their marriage cert from city hall?  I was told they were on 6 week delay but STILL have not gotten anything and it's been almost 3 months. . did anyone else have this and have to go chase one down?   Did you just go there?  was it a pain? TIA

Re: married folks marriage cert?

• edited December 2011
    Bresita, I had the same experience. City Hall lost our license. We live 4 hours from NYC so getting a duplicate license was a huge hassel.  You need a duplicate license (even if you have a signed copy of the original). The Marriage Bureau website has a section which explains how to get a duplicate license. Orignially I called and could not get any information over the phone. The person I finally spoke with after calling everyday for 2 weeks was incredibly rude and accused the Priest (and me of lying) saying "the priest probably has it sitting on his desk and never sent it in." However since the Marriage Bureau moved to the old DMV building going in and getting the duplicate is much easier. It only took about 30 minutes once I was at the bureau. You need to go down to City Hall (only one of you needs to go) with an id and a letter signed by your officiant on his or her letterhead that states he/she married you on such and such a date. I also brought a copy of the original license. To add insult to injury they charge $25 for the duplicate copy even when it is their fault that the license got lost. Good luck.
  • edited December 2011
    rebecca. . just saw your reply to this. .THANKS!  this will be helpful. . we keep avoiding going . kept thinking it would arrive but seeing as it's been about three months. . I'm giving up. .we don't have a signed letter but do have the receipt copy of when our pastor sent it in so I wonder if that will work. . I just keep NEVER being around and free to go to city hall!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards