Tennessee
Options

Marriage Licence in Shelby County - HELP!!

I have only lived in Memphis a year, and I am so confused about the marriage license process!  We picked it up, got it signed, and signed the big record book at the clerk's office, got married and thought that was it.  Not the lady at the clerk's office, nor our pastor has told us there is anything further we need to do.  So I've got my marriage license signed and have done nothing with it.  Thanks to my name change kit, it says that I will probably need to request a couple copies of an official copy of my marriage license for submitting as I get my name changed.  I checked the Shelby County Clerk's website and noticed that it said I have to send back "the signed vital application" within 30 days.  What does that mean???  Does anyone know?!  Anyone I know here who has been married recently got married out of state, so I'm completely clueless.  I got married on August 8, so if a 30 day deadline is the case, then time is running out!  Please help!!

Re: Marriage Licence in Shelby County - HELP!!

• Options
    cepeelercepeeler member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi! I got married in Shelby County and went through the same process. Basically there is the 'signed vital application' that the pastor sends back after the wedding. This should be the only part that is submitted to the clerk. You keep your marriage license. You may want to check with your pastor to ensure he did this. When you go to change your name (driver's license, SS card, etc), I just took the signed copy I had of the marriage license and had no problems. Hope this helps!
  • Options
    autumnlalaautumnlala member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    To clarify what the PP said, the paper they gave you at the clerk's office is what you're supposed to mail back in.  The pastor and one witness should have signed it.  Then, after you mail that in, the clerk's office will send you a new piece of paper, and that's your actual marriage license.  You can make copies of that license for all your name changing tasks.  Good luck, HTH!
    Married May 9, 2009, Fall Creek Falls State Park, Tennessee Male factor infertility, BFP after two failed IUIs and one IVF image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards