Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum
Options

Toasters at the reception

Who generally toasts at a wedding?  ie. Maid of honor, Best man/men, certain family members...we can't find a clear cut answer of traditional people who toast.Thanks,Brian

Re: Toasters at the reception

• Options
    It really depends on what you want.  At son and DIL's wedding, there was only 1 toast by the BM.  (MOH doesn't like to speak in front of a crowd, and that was fine.)At DD's wedding, MOH and BM gave toasts.At my niece's wedding, FOB and MOG gave toasts, followed by BM and MOH.  THEN...every freakin' GM and every freakin' BM gave a toast.  It was just awful.My advice, have no more than 2 toasts, and ask both to keep them short, short, short and avoid "inside jokes" that only the toaster and B and/or G will get.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    Stage, while I almost completely agree, I think it's fine to let the "keeper of the mic" know that only certain people will be permitted to have the mic to speak. I've been to weddings and heard of others, where someone "unexpected" decides to give a toast and gets either A) hideously long-winded and sloppy-emotional" or B) inappropriate. If the OP has concerns, I think it's very safe to limit who gets to speak.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards