Texas-Houston

Family and the ceremony...HELP!!!

Ok...I have a huge problem. My fiance and I were planning on going to Vegas and eloping. After many arguments with my mother, my older sister talked us into getting married in town, but she said she would talk to my mom about a small wedding...immediate family and grandparents only. My mom has finally come to terms with it. Now, my moms family is taking our decision personally. I really do not know what to do. We are private people and I do not like a lot of attention. So, I feel that having all of these other people there is going to make me feel uncomfortable. I do not feel that I should have to sacrifice feeling comfortable on our day. We are thinking about having someone tape the ceremony and showing it at, what we are calling, the "after party". This way , everyone gets to see the ceremony and we all get to celebrate together. This is still not making people happy. What would you do?

Re: Family and the ceremony...HELP!!!

• ayersfam20ayersfam20 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would go to Vegas and elope.  Then come back and tell everyone, hey we got married this past weekend.  They'll get over it - do what you want to do.
    Abbie Rose 9.26.2004
    Collin Thayne 10.11.2010
  • jmo2187jmo2187 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm with pp.
  • nchschic05nchschic05 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    ditto pp. no.matter.what people will have thier feelings hurt. if they truly love you and care enough to respect your wishes they will get over it and accept the choice you made.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Zurita1123Zurita1123 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Someone else here eloped also. I think its romantic... they will have to get over it, in the end, the wedding is for you two... and if you can't share that moment with others b/c they don't know how not to throw a hissy fit then too bad. At least it will be memorable to both of you.
  • edited December 2011
    either of your plans so far would be perfectly fine. it's YOUR day. you be comfortable. Have who you want there. Do what YOU want. go to vegas.
    Becca & Justin - 5/16/09 - Planning Bio My Blog(updated 3/12)

• edited December 2011
    People get over it...Its your day, do what you want.
  • SHUVUUSHUVUU member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would go to Vegas and elope. Then come back and tell everyone, hey we got married this past weekend. They'll get over itThis. Coz what could they do? Unwed you?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • edited December 2011
    ditto what ayers and pp said. yall go to Vegas and elope, and maybe appease the family by having a small reception at home when you get back.

Glenna Harding Photography
  • edited December 2011
    I say go to Vegas but like if your Mom really wants to be there just invite your parents to the ceremony in Vegas. I know people who have done that. They went to vegas and took four of their close friends with them. I say do what you want because it is your day. Your family will get over it eventually.
  • edited December 2011
    i would elope, but i want our closest friends and immediate family to be there and share the day with us.  that is the only reason i am planning a wedding.  i come from a long tradition of big weddings that extend invitations to distant relatives and parent's childhood friends.  at first i felt guilty for breaking tradition, but in the end, its what makes me and the FI most comfortable (plus my invitees would overwhelm his).  my parents are still trying to accept it, but they understand it's what we want.  I just hope the rest of my relatives don't take it too personally.
    TTC #1 since 11/2010
    Me: 33 dx PCOS 11/2012
    DH: 37 SA 6/2012 - normal
    Cycle #1 on 50 mg Clomid 12/2012 - unsucessful
    Cycle #2 on 75 mg Clomid + Trigger 01/2013 - unsucessful
    Cycle #3 on 600 mg Vitex + acupuncture 02/2013

Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards