Washington-Seattle

Would you say anything? (LONG)

I can't recall if I've posted about my friend's boyfriend before. Long story short, they've dated on and off since high school and it's always ended badly. After college they got back together, lived together, and they ended up breaking up for real because he had no job, was mooching off her, etc. She said it was the last time. She seemed to really be done with him, but now a few years later, they're back together.

This time is more serious. She says he's changed (of course) and that they plan to get engaged soon. I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and Mike and I and went out to dinner with them one night. I had met him before but never really spent much time with him, and never one on one. Well, I don't even know how to express how awful of a person he is. I couldn't even believe it. He is so rude, bored with life and everyone in it, makes zero effort to have a personality or talk, nothing makes him happy. He sat slumped in the chair the whole time complaining or staring into space. Mike can talk to anyone and even he left that dinner saying he would never go out with them again. I left really upset and wondering how on earth my friend can't see how awful he is. I never said anything then, hoping they'd break up again.

Fast forward to our wedding, my friend was a BM. My best friend and another friend (both BMs too) told me afterward how rude he was to them. He was even rude to my mom when she came up to say hello. My best friend said that he was completely rude to their server at the table and demanded she take his plate away when she was juggling a ton of stuff and clearly couldn't. She also said my friend wanted to dance and he basically just shut that down real quick. He never said one word to us, much less congratulations (which doesn't bother me, but just to give you an idea of his personality). I don't think he left the table actually. When my friend was away from the table, my best friend tried to make conversation and asked him if he thought they were going to get engaged sometime soon and he was very emphatic that he did not plan to get engaged.

So my question is, would you say something? It makes me upset for her, but also upsets me that he was rude to my mother as well as a staff member. You don't like my friends, fine, but those two are beyond the line to me. I know that if they do get engaged she'll ask me to be a BM, and I wouldn't feel comfortable supporting it without saying how I feel but I think like waiting until that point comes is even worse than saying it now, even though there's really no good time to tell someone they shouldn't marry the person they love.

Re: Would you say anything? (LONG)

• edited December 2011
    This is such a touchy subject. I've been in the situation before and it definately isn't easy becaue if they do decide to be together, then she knows how much you dislike him. That said, I would tell her. A lot of people stay in relationships and gravitate back to them because they are comfortable in them. And, in most situations, people don't change. So maybe it feels different because they are older and stuff but chances are in a year or so, things will be back to the way they were. I just would let her know what he told your other friend. Sounds like a real winner. Maybe she just needs to see it from your view.
    BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker we're having twins!
  • carrieoz_76carrieoz_76 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I probably wouldn't.  People make their own decisions, and if she's broken things off with him before, she has doubts about him already.  She's choosing to ignore them and get back with him instead of listening to her instincts.  You can't make her change her mind about that.

I just try to be a good listener and ask good questions when friends are in bad relationships.  When they're questioning it, I'll just ask - does he make you happy?  Is this the relationship you want for yourself?  Then I talk about how I knew the answers to those questions myself.  They need to answer the questions themselves, but a gentle nudge in the direction of just asking them is usually stronger than trying to push them away from someone they've already decided they want.
  • amandaswamandasw member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm probably halfway between the previous posts - or maybe they're actually saying similar things: be careful not to come on too strong or she'll shut you off, but also don't be afraid to ask questions that would get her thinking so that maybe she'll draw her own conclusions about him, which really has to happen before she would leave him.  Basically, if you come out and say "I don't like him" it might be a wake-up call if she's that kind of person and you have that kind of friendship, but either way she has to be able to answer the question "What about him to you really love?"... so maybe a little of both?

• jennuinnejennuinne member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, you got to be careful.  I wouldn't say anything.  People stay in relationships or leave based on their own feelings, issues, etc., not other people's opinions.  What you say won't effect what she does, but it could hurt your friendship.  Its one thing if she asks for advice, but I wouldn't approach the subject first.  It won't do any good.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I actually agree with all PPs.  I'm more with Sara's suggestion, but I agree with Amanda on watching how it's approached.  I would approach it from a standpoint of "You know you're one of my best friends and I always want to see the best for you, but I've got to let you know that I am really worried about you.  I truly feel XX is not good for you - you deserve better and I know there are tons of men that would love the chance to be with you." Heck, if you have an example of a guy who you think or know is interested in her (and that would be good) I might even bring him up. 

As Sara said, people will stick with what's comfortable, but also people won't want to strike out on their own if they're afriad of rejection/failure.  If after a disucssion with her, she stays with him, then I agree with Carrie, just be the best friend you can.  That doesnt' mean you have to hang out with the two of them, in fact my stance would be if she invites you or you and Mike to something that he will be at, I would politely decline.  She probably will get the hint after a while, especially if you are able to hang out with her when he is not around, she'll see you're avoiding him which shows you don't like him and/or feel uncomfortable around him.  I hope everything works out and I hope she does find something better.
    Family fall photo session with Ashley Hoyle Photography
    Married 7/10/10
    Wedding Planning Bio - Updated 6/13/2010
    Anniversary
  • melissa82melissa82 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, you guys are probably right. It's just very hard for me. I really don't think she has any doubts--she thinks everything is great. I don't think she SEES him for who he is, at all. I don't think he's any different to her, she just takes it. She's also had a lot of issues in her family, so I definitely thinks that plays into it. She has a history of dating horrible guys, and she admits it but just goes right to the next horrible guy. Every time someone good comes along, there's no interest.

I'll give you an example, her last boyfriend turned out to be addicted to heroin. !!! She was shocked. Had no clue whatsoever. I told her (in a nice way) she definitely has a skewed perception if she didn't see any red flags at all. So that's what I mean about not seeing the person for who they are. I don't think she would (or should) break up with him based on my or anyone's opinion, but I feel like she really needs some help with her perception.
  • melissa82melissa82 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We don't have to worry much about hanging out with him, because they live in Connecticut. We usually just see each other a couple of times a year (just the girls). Either she comes down to NYC or NJ or I go to CT.
  • edited December 2011
    Have you mentioned to her about how he treated your mother rudely? Or did she witness it? Cause thats where I would start! If she witnessed it, make her feel guilty for not stepping in and saying something cause if that were my FI, I would have smacked him right there! And if she didn't hear it, approach that subject first, if she has any connection to your mom, most friends do, but if not, let me think.. it definitely sounds like she does have a skewed perception! I guess I would just lay it on. Bring up the things that you are worried about her for, so it sounds like you're not neccessarily attacking him, but showing concern for your friend. And for what it's worth, I never see these two getting married, not if he has an attitude like that! Good luck!
    Married 7/17/2010 Photobucket PersonalMilestone
  • edited December 2011
    I'm with Brandy. It's a VERY difficult position to be in, and I understand about being with someone who is not right for you and ignoring flags. (Hell, my evil ex cheated on me and somehow I rationalized it a bit in my head but then our relationship never recovered because I felt constantly insecure.) I think I would just start by maybe bringing up the wedding as a reminiscence, talk to her about what she enjoyed or didn't. Then I would work in, "You know, my mother was really upset at the way X treated her." And mention the server thing, too. How someone treats other is a HUGE indicator of how they really are. I would leave it at that. But next time she mentions thinking that they are getting engaged, then you could use that as an opening for what he said on the topic. I wouldn't broach that one completely out of left field. I think those are some good things for her to hear, but other than that, I would stick with Carrieoz's suggestions. I wouldn't really say specifically you don't like him as that can bite you in the butt.
    Daisypath Vacation tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards