Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

cake stand options

I may be naive, but really what is the point of a cake stand? If it's only to elevate the cake, then why can't I just put a box under it and drape some linen over it, then set the cake on top? I just can't understand paying $100 for a stand, especially when I will never have a cake that big again in my life.

Re: cake stand options

• edited December 2011
    that is actually a really good idea!  =)  great DIY project!  I would definitely use a wood box for like $10 or so at JoAnn's or Michaels, Hobby Lobby...and find the fabric in your colors and some candles and you'd be good to go!  =)  I think I may put that idea in my notes!  =)
  • edited December 2011
    you're not naive at all... I can honestly say that even as a baker/cake decorator, I see no use for a cake stand... in fact, I've only used a cake stand one time for a wedding (and will probably use it for my own wedding) because it was only a 2 teired cake and just looked better for photos if the bride and groom weren't hunched over to cut the cake... but cakes that are 3+ teirs do not necessarily need a stand... and yeah even i refuse to pay $100+ for a stand, the one that i have I paid $10 for at walmart
  • edited December 2011
    My thoughts exactly! For many years as a decorator, I often put a 2"-3" styrofoam dummy the same size as the cake board on the table, then draped chiffon or other linen over it (or it could be covered with a ribbon). It raised it just enough to make the cake "sit up and be noticed". And it was cheap. :o)
  • mindiosumindiosu member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are doing that with our cupcakes. We'll have several different elevations so they look "scattered" all over the table. I like it better than the more formal cake stand and it's not costing us a thing.
  • edited December 2011
    This is why Cake stands are a really good DIY project because the $100 ones are for people who've been sucked in by the wedding industry!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards