Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh
Options

Pittsburgh Cookie Poem

Hey Girls, I know there is a poem about Pittsburgh and our cookie tables floating around, does anyone have it? I would like to put it on the cookie table in 27 DAYS!!!! :) Thanks for the help!

Re: Pittsburgh Cookie Poem

• Options
    hey_its_jennhey_its_jenn member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    " The cookie table is a Pittsburgh tradition attributed to the collaborative and culinary efforts of many ethnic groups. The bride's family and friends present an awe-inspiring spread of cookies and desserts for the wedding feast. While no one is certain where or why the cookie table originated, no Pittsburgh wedding is complete without one. Remember, in Pittsburgh people don't wonder "How was the wedding?" They ask, "Were the cookies good?"

Married 9/19/09
    Me: 27 // DH: 31
    TTC # 1 Since October 2010 (Not preventing since 2009)

October 2012: DH Dx: Testicular Cancer -- Left Orchiectomy
    December 2012: F/U CT Scan -- All clean!
    January 2013: Starting the adoption process!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks Jenn!!!! Good Luck! Its coming FAST!!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I know - it's pretty crazy. I keep thinking things like, "this time next week, I'll be MARRIED!" haha.

Married 9/19/09

• Options
    morainemommorainemom member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Here's the long version of The Cookie Tradition: Normal.dotm 0 0 1 250 1426 Movin' Out 11 2 1751 12.0 0 false 18 pt 18 pt 0 0 false false false /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ascii-font-family:Cambria; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Cambria; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} The Cookie Table: A Pittsburgh Tradition   By Suzanne Martinson, Food Editor, Pittsburgh Post Gazette       You can have a designer wedding gown and tuxedo or hand-me-downs. You can have an “A-list” guest list or just the closest of kin. You can receive your guests at the fanciest restaurant or at a potluck at the firehall. But you aren’t truly a Pittsburgher unless you have The Cookie Table.   When we first moved here and a bride-to-be mentioned The Cookie Table, I was puzzled. “What do you need cookies for?” I asked. “At a wedding, you eat cake.” Little did I know.   The Cookie Table is as much a part of Pittsburgh as the Pirates and the Steelers and the Penguins. We may bleed black and gold, but at any event worth writing home about, we have cookies.   And most of these cookies are homemade by the mother of the bride, sisters, aunts, cousins and grandmothers. Sometimes both sides of the extended family get involved. Friends are also called into the fray. Happy to do it, in fact. The Cookie Table is, indeed, the gift of love.   Nobody knows the exact origin of the tradition, which has been exported to other parts of Pennsylvania, other states, too. It may be Italian or Slovak or Polish or Croatian or Greek. The Scandinavians may get involved, and the Indians, too. The Germans do cookies, and so do the Irish. If we’ve left anybody out (like the English), add them to the cookie equation. There may be no greater tribute to cross-cultural friends and marriages than The Cookie Table. It’s what makes America great; a medley of cultures taking the best from each. The best being favorite family cookie recipes.   Remember, in Pittsburgh, people don’t wonder, “How was the wedding?” They ask, “Were the cookies good?”
  • Options
    themissizzthemissizz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    This was posted 4 posts below this.  It's even titled "COOKIE TABLE SAYING" -- you didn't even have to search or go to a different page.  Seriously?

11-15-08
    12-1-10
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I thought the same thing, Stace, but I think Pam's is a little long - no offense - but that's a lot to read. So I posted the shorter version. I miss daytime knotting, p.s. :(

Married 9/19/09

• Options
    themissizzthemissizz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Jenn, you are far nicer than I am.

11-15-08
    12-1-10
  • Options
    McBridetobeMcBridetobe member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Molly, can we add this to the Pgh Knottie page at the top? 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards