Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Is it legal for a friend to marry us?

My fiance really wants his best friend/bestman to marry us. I am having a hard time figuring out the laws and rules for MN. Any help? Does he have to be an ordained minister if its not a relegious ceremony? Thanks!

Re: Is it legal for a friend to marry us?

• Depends on your state.  Here in Colorado, you can 'self solomnize', meaning you just sign the license and you're married.  Or have an officiant if you want to, but it can't be just anyone. 
    imageFollow Me on Pinterest
  • Just call the county, or google the laws where you wish to be married--everyone's laws are different.  In Georgia, this is not possible. However, in FL, where we had our legal ceremony, only a notary is required. 
    image Don't mess with the old dogs; age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! BS and brilliance only come with age and experience.
  • It varies from county to county.  If we did the wedding here in LA we could have a friend deputized for the day to marry us, but since the wedding's in Vegas, it has to be a minister who can provide proof of presiding over an actual congregation.  Some counties will accept online ordinations from places like ULC.  Just look up the website for your county, and look for their marriage license requirements.  They're usually pretty specific of what's allowed and what isn't.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • It doesn't look like he can.  I looked up applying for a marriage license MN and this is what I got: Officiants: Judges, clerks of court, court commissioners, and licensed ministers, priests or rabbis, as well as representatives of Bahai, Hindu, Quaker and American Indian religious groups are authorized to perform weddings in Minnesota.
  • My JP in NH told us that he did a wedding where the grandfather performed the whole ceromony except the legal part which the JP finished up with the I pronouce you man and wife, etc.  If that helps any
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards