Wedding Photography and Videography Forum
Options

Choosing a Photographer

What was it about your photographer that made you choose him or her? I have been struggling with choosing a photographer for a few months. I have found one that I absolutely love, but he is really stretching my budget. I like some others, but I always find myself think about one. Do you think a photographer is worth a splurge?TIA
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Choosing a Photographer

• Options
    anastasia80anastasia80 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I chose my photographer because I liked his work and was affordable.  If there's a photographer that you like but he's really out of your budget, I don't think you should go with him/her.  If I can make a suggestion, if you want a photographer that is affordable and easy to work with, try going to http://ferrybong.comHe does destination weddings and believe he'll travel to Connecticut. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I disagree with pp.  I think that the one thing you should splurge on for the wedding IS the photographer.  Your photos are what you will have to remember your day by - everything else to me was negotiable.  I fell in love with my photographer and was willing to cut my budget in other places to afford her.  She was also a stretch, but like you, no one else compared to her.  I picked our photographer because she did my friend's wedding and I loved how she worked - she was not in the way of the party but when my friend got her photos back I was STUNNED with how fabulous they were.  My (then) FI and I went and met up with her and instantly hit it off. It was like we had been friends forever.  Knowing that our personalities meshed so well was a big selling point for me, and she said something that I always tell people who are looking for a photog - you have to spend the most time on your wedding day with your photographer, even more than you husband to be, your bridal party, ANYONE.  It's really important that your personalities mesh well so that he/she can capture the real you.  If you feel at ease with him/her, you will let your true self shine through and your pictures will reflect that and not be "posey."  Hope that helps - good luck with your decision.
  • Options
    kae101kae101 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with the pp -- photography is one of the most important parts of your wedding!  It's one of the few things that will remain once the day is done. 
    ~ K & S ~ 10.01.10 MyBio Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think splurging on a photographer is definitely worth it, as long as it's a splurge and not totally blowing your budget. The photos and your memories are all you will have at the end of the day, except your marriage of course :) It sounds cheesey but I really do think they are an investment. I've seen some so-so wedding albums and great albums and you definitely want a great album. A good photog will really caputure the little things, the people and the joy of the day.
  • Options
    subdolasubdola member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    For me, photography was absolutely our number one priority and while there certainly was a limit to what I would have spent, I chose based on how much I loved my photographer and his pictures as well as the kind of package I got.  I paid double what my original budget for photography was and it was worth every single penny.  I know a lot of people that regret not having better pictures and I wouldn't want that to have happened to me.
    We're currently on a 15 month trip around the world!
    **Check out our travel blog**
    Planning Bio Married Bio
  • Options
    alliecarrie41alliecarrie41 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i "clicked" with him, didn't only love his work but his potential and ability to try new things and listen, and that he was very excited to work with me. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards