Massachusetts-Boston

Wedding Expo Prize-Is it Legitimate?

Hi everyone,

I was at the wedding expo at Hynes last weekend, and now I am recieving calls and emails telling me that I won a honeymoon to Aruba from one of the booths there.  Although this would clearly be AMAZING, something about the whole thing seems fishy to me; the caller didn't leave a message until I finally picked up my phone (I usually won't pick up for numbers I don't know), the email is vague, and they want to see me in person to give me the certificate.  I asked for more detailed information via email, but he wouldn't send me a copy of any contracts or anything, just a general "congratulations!" email.   

Wow, the more I type the fishier this sounds!  I was just curious if anyone else entered that contest and was hearing from these people.  I definitely wouldn't meet anyone in person without more detailed information (and not alone of course).  I think I may have let me desire for a fancy Carribean honeymoon (our current in-budget plan is Maine) get the best of me here...TIA for any thoughts.  

P.S. If you are reading this and haven't yet gone to one of those wedding expos, I advise skipping it.  The only good part was the cake tastings!  

Re: Wedding Expo Prize-Is it Legitimate?

• Was it from a company called Table for two?

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • if so it is like going to a time share thing.  They tell you that you have won engagement rings or a two night three day trip to aruba and you have to sit through a high pressure sales pitch for 2000.00 pots and pans set.  If you sit through the whole thing (your FI has to go with you) you can get the vacation without buying anything. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • This happened to me also and they wanted me to come down and pick up the certificates. However, once they asked for credit card information over the phone and stated I don't have one they hung up on me. Be very careful. Other than that I think the wedding expos are great way to see what vendors offer.
  • Thanks to both of you! The company was Authentic Carribbean Vacations. They didn't ask me to give credit card info, but do want me to go to a lonnnngggg brunch so its probably a timeshare deal. FI and I both work on the days they want to meet, however, so trying to sit through it could be a no go anyway. Aruba does sound great in this cold snap though...
  • I also went to the expo last weekend and "won" a trip from that dinner 4 two company mentioned by a PP.  After they called, I looked them up online and figured out they were going to try to sell me pots and pans.  They say right on the website that they offer the trip to anyone who sits through their "cooking class", so it's really not a prize at all, just an incentive.  We decided we were not interested, we had other ideas for our honeymoon anyways.

I also won a free engagement session from a photographer, though!  I was really excited about that, it is worth almost $900!  I have been in contact with her and we are scheduling the session, and I know she is hoping that through this session she will be able to convince me to book her for my wedding, but I plan on telling her I have already been in touch with a different photographer for my wedding.

And I also "won" a complimentary makeover for me and 6 friends from Mary Kay.  I am attending that one too, and I know they'll try to sell me all sorts of products, but I'm good at taking what's free and saying "no" to what costs money   :)

Sorry to brag, but I just wanted to share that these expos can be worth it!  The way I see it, the expo was free (with promo codes), you get some free bridal magazines and stuff, you get great discounts if you book vendors or at least make appts that day and free stuff as long as you put up with all the sales pitches, you get to meet photographers and other vendors in person without the commitment of scheduling a meeting, and for me it was just a fun thing to do in the city with my bridesmaid!
  • That's great you made out so well! I didn't mean to be a negative nancy about the expo...I guess my tolerance for the sales pitches is just on the low side. I was expecting to be able to leisurely browse wedding stuff, and in the end that wasn't really possible. Glad you had a better experience!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards