Flowers
Options

Problem with florist, thoughts or suggestions

I booked my florist back in Jan. for my Oct. wedding.  I had a meeting and the florist kept trying to push his ideas and colors on me that do not match my wedding colors.  I gave several pictures of what I want with specific flowers.  He told me hydrangeas are not good since they will die before I get down the isle (which I believe to be a lie).  He asked would I like samples of the centerpieces and my bridal bouquet (with my flowers and colors) and I said yes well I was supposed to pick up the samples 2 1/2 weeks  and still no samples.  I've called several times requesting the samples and he says the flowers did not come in maybe they will be on the next truck.  I am considering trying to find a new florist last minute.  ANy thoughts this guy does great work but I am finding him difficult to work with and he has not provided samples and I am 40 days away from I do.ThanksTracy

Re: Problem with florist, thoughts or suggestions

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Hydrangea need a water source at all times. Either in a vase of water or cut up and put into an oasis bridal holder. They are really no different as far as work for the florist. All flowers need hydration and a set up time before a designer can work with them. What other flowers are you wanting to use? If you are wanting unusual flowers he would need to order them ie peonie, garden roses, etc.  They would not be on the truck.  Is the florist charging you for the samples? If he is, than there is no excuse, if you are getting them free of charge than he is just waiting for them at a better price.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I find a rose (de-thorning and stipping leaves), and a lily (the stamen removal) takes more physical time for me to process than a hydrangea.  Yes, the hydrangea is the first to be processed. but the physical time spent, I find less time consuming. Whether the sink is filled with cold or warm water takes the same amount of physical time. Yes, the hydration time is extended with the hydrangea. I would also use Hawaiian mist on my hydrangea and anything else that might need extra hydration.TracyIf you are feeling uncomfortable with your present florist than I would talk to others. Work with the vendors with whom you feel the most comfortable and everything will be fine.
  • Options
    flower_divaflower_diva member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I agree with you bridesmomflorida. I am a professional florist and I use hydrangeas all the time with out any problem at all.I believe if you choose an educated florist...and I stress the educated part....Perhaps if you volunteer to pay for the sample bokay,the flowers will "arrive" much faster. Sounds to me like this is not a traditional florist that stocks fresh flowers except when there is an event or wedding.Go elsewhere if you are uncomfortable. Doesn't sound like he cares about your opinion at all, which is sad,because it should be ALL about you and what you want.  JMO
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My florist did the same thing. I came prepared for our first meeting, I did the research beforehand and knew exactly what I wanted - I knew what was in season at the time of our wedding and how much roughly it would all cost, and what would hold up etc., however she still kept pushing her ideas onto me. We left the meeting with her promising to email me some ideas (she said ranunculous would die, and she couldn't get mistletoe at Christmastime) She kept showing me really cheesy complex boutonnieres and corsages, when all I wanted was something simple. So it's been 3 months since that first meeting and she won't return my calls or emails, and she definately didn't email me any ideas.Needless to say, with only a few months left untill the wedding, I will be making them all myself. Not too worrie d b/c they are simple projects.Perhaps do the research on what you need and see if you have the option of doing them yourself? depends on the complexity... if you're in a lurch perhaps trying a local supermarket florist? you might luck out. I've heard good things from people who used a supermarket florist..Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards