Destination Weddings Discussions

Sandals Brides? Need some input please

Hi! I'm Jessica... and I'm a newbie.  :)Hoping to get some input! The thought of planning a traditional wedding made me break out in hives, so the fiance and I have decided to elope (kinda). We want to get married somewhere on a beach in the Caribbean, with just us, my parents, a minister, and a photographer. No bridal party, no colors, no reception. Cake and booze would be nice.. but not required. :)After lurking around the board, I see many positive reviews of Sandals Resorts. Now, I'm just having trouble deciding which one...My first concern is "ease of matrimony". I know different islands/countries have different marriage laws...some require you have to stay there 3 days, have bloodwork done, etc. Others are much more simple. My second concern is location. I've not been to the Caribbean before, so it's hard to decide between hundreds of gorgeous beaches without seeing them in person. I love white sand and turquoise waters. And though I expect to spend quite a bit, I'd still like to be budget conscious. So if there are places in particular known for being more expensive, I'd like to look elsewhere. Do any of you Caribbean brides have any suggestions/tips/advice? I don't have my heart set on Sandals, I've just heard many good things so far. If anyone has suggestions for another resort, I'd love to hear it! Thanks!

Re: Sandals Brides? Need some input please

• My fiance and I are getting married at Sandals Montego Bay. The requirement is that we are on the island at least 48 hours before the ceremony. For the marriage license, we sent in a copy of our birth certificates...that's it and the marriage is legally binding. Once we arrive at the resort, we have 4 locations to pick from: a chapel, the beach, a garden and a gazebo surrounded by water. We have 3 cakes to choose from" chocolate, vanilla or caribbean fruit. Also, I have a choice of  pink, red or white roses.  We booked the honeymoon suite, which includes concierge service. If you stay 7 days or more, the wedding is FREE! You also get a wedding coordinator.
  • Welcome to the board! We got married at the Negril location and loved it! Getting married in Jamaica was very easy. Just have to be there 3 days (I think that's the time)  and that's it. The marriage license transfers right over back in the states. I had never been to Jamaica before but had heard/seen pics of the gorgeous sunsets (even better than the pics IRL). Heard that it was more relaxed at this location but some partying going on too. We didn't add anything on for decorations for the ceremony. The ocean behind us was absolutely prefect. Feel free to ask any questions and happy planning =)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I agree with the pp. I checked it out and Jamaica is the easiest for a legal wedding. I wanted to do a legal ceremony, so it was our choice. No blood sample ect....just birth certificate, and marriage license. My ta took care of everything and I haven't really needed to bother with it. It's been so nice not to stress about that part of it. I love Jamaica, been there 3 times before so it was an easy decision. We are using Sandals Grande Ocho Rios.
  • p.s. they also told me we had to be on the island for 48 hours before they would marry us.
  • Thanks for the replies, ladies! We've pretty much decided on Jamaica, now just deciding on the resort. Lisa7- your planning/bio is incredibly helpful! Thank you! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards