Outdoor Weddings

Shade needed!! Ideas??

I am having my wedding and reception at my home in Central California.  Late July of this next year.  I have priced tents and they are nearly a grand a piece and WAY out of my budget.  The yard where we plan on having it (as well as a large drive way and cemented area) has alot of trees and structure surrounding it, but at this time of year, it will be hot, and shade will be necessary as it doesnt get dark until late.  Someone suggested to be, that I get a huge parachute from a surplus store and hang it up, which is doable.  But I am hoping they dont come in some obnoxious color and are affordable.  Does anyone else have any experience with this, or a suggestion as to what to use, so that I might cover my guests affordably and be able to decorate it (I plan on using paper lanterns and white Christmas lights.)HELP!! haha

Re: Shade needed!! Ideas??

• I've seen pics here on the knot of yards of filmy fabric draped overhead to create shade.
  • you can check ebay for a canopy. We plan to make our own using 1 1/2" pvc for a frame, and a white tarp to top it. You can pick up tarps at Lowes or we foumd some good prices on amazon. with the pvc you can use 45 or 60 degree elbows to give the roof pitch.
  • We have a lady who uses the parachutes in the halls at the Fairgrounds. They use them for weddings. They are beautiful. They are white and she uses the christmas lights throughout. The only question I would have is it rain proof? I don't know. The ones I have seen have always been installed inside. It would be alot of work, but could be very nice. I'm from Indiana and she doesn't have a web site. If you want more information, please let me know and I will see what I can do.
    Let the Lord Lead... and follow Him.
  • playparachutes dot com has white ones for sale - not sure if good prices or not. You could also check eBay probably. I’ve seen them hung for craft fairs using heavy wire but you'd need poles to attach them to.
  • I don't have any ideas, but please tell me you have an inside rain plan since you're not getting a tent.
  • Did you consider buying the tent, instead of renting it and then re-selling on Craig's list.  A friend of mine found out that buying the tent is often cheaper than renting it.  Also, the same friend is finding tons of people on Craig's list who are selling their once used tents for only a couple of hundred dollars, so that's also an option. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards