Minnesota-Minneapolis and St. Paul

Beware of Strawberry Hill Confections

I met with four different bakers when searching for our Wedding Cake baker. Melissa at Strawberry Hill Confections was the last one and I was really excited to chose her. Her cake was good and her prices were fantastic. We met for a tasting on a Saturday in August, she said she would have a quote to me within the next two days. A week later I had heard nothing so I e-mailed her and also asked if she would be able to make two cakes for my mom's retirement party in two weeks. I never heard from her, so a week after that (and one week before the retirement party) I called her to see if she could do the cakes for the party. I was really nice and said it was fine if she couldn't, I just needed to know so I could find another bakery for the cakes in time for the party if she couldn't. She said she could do them no problem and we'd arrange a time to pick them up. I also reminded her about the quote and she said she'd get it to me by Sunday or Monday. The following Thursday arrives (still no quote) and I e-mail to figure out a time to pick up the cakes. I hear nothing from her. So first thing on Friday morning (day of the party) I call her and her exact words were "I was just going to call you. I have a big wedding this weekend and I won't be able to do your cakes for tonight."I understand that she's a one woman shop and I honestly tried not to be pushy or unresaonable in my requests. I thought I gave her plenty of time, and I even gave her an out for the retirement cakes. But to cancel the morning of and not even call me is really bad business. She has lost our wedding cake order, and I will never recommend her to anyone I know.Through this whole process my gut has been telling me that something was wrong - so lesson learned: Pay attention to your instincts brides! They're probably right. If you are already committed to using her I hope your experience is better than mine was.
imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Beware of Strawberry Hill Confections

• edited December 2011
    I'm glad you posted this. I was also getting a weird vibe about her. We did a cake testing and her cakes were awesome. We got a price quote and it was cheaper than I thought. We were really excited but then I started putting pieces together and I am worried that she takes on more than she could handle. I'm worried that the cakes will look sloppy because of time constraints. She also has not responded to my follow on questions from over a week ago. Does anyone know if she is licensed and insured?
  • LittleSweetieLittleSweetie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    (Just wanted to say thank you for posting a factual review and not making any insults!!  I appreciate you following the guideline below, and FYI that Strawberry Hill Confections has the right to reply: http://talk.theknot.com/boards/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=62114745&forumid=414)
    Our big girl, Cora, and our sneaky kitty, Roxy

Visit The Nest!Visit The Nest!
  • edited December 2011
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who was thinking this.  I emailed her about doing a cake tasting and she responded immediately.  Then we started talking some technical details and she had all these grand ideas for things should could do that seemed like  a lot to take on.  My instincts told me she wouldn't be able to handle it.  I e-mailed her and told her I wanted to scale back but still wanted her to do my cake if she was interested and I since I am planning from out of town that I would be in town in a few weeks.  I heard back from her about 3 weeks later asking if I still wanted to set up a tasting.  I had already been to MN and honestly, if a vendor takes more than 3 days to respond to me (without at least an automatic, out of office reply) I cross them off my list.
  • edited December 2011
    Wow that sucks, I really wanted to use her because I heard her cake is awesome and she is farely cheap...but I'm not risking it! Thanks for the post!
    Trying to Conceive Ticker "All that I'm after is a life full of laughter, As long as I'm laughing with you" Planning Bio image
  • edited December 2011
    We used her for our July wedding and she was great- however she was delayed in responses to e-mail and phone calls. Also she owes us a refund b/c we ordered less tarts than we originally placed an order for and have gotten NO check and NO response via e-mail…
    imageimage
  • edited December 2011
    I'm using her for our groom's cake. Her responses to e-mail were very slow or non-existent. Also, it took four weeks to get my contract, but I have it now. At least it's just the groom's cake. But I do hope it arrives at our wedding since it's part of my toast. We will see.
  • edited December 2011
    I just sent my contract in now I am a little worried.  She is really slow with the e-mails for sure.  We had a tasting last week and she had to reschedule.  I think that she takes on too much.  She had to reschedule because she was in the hospital for exhaustion, so that's part of it.   
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    She was in the hospital for exhaustion?! That is horrible!!  
    imageimage
  • periippaperiippa member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    brndmrkl: The last I heard, she is not licensed. However, she expected to be licensed in 2010. I e-mailed her August 24 about our tasting that's scheduled for a couple weeks from now when we're in MN, but I have not heard back -- she is usually pretty slow to respond to e-mails.
  • edited December 2011
    I had met to meet with her and thought she was great. We were ready to book her but then my reception place said they needed insurance policy information and recent Health Department numbers. She replied saying she wouldn't be albe to do it because the amount the recpeption place needed was way above the insurance she carries. I understood that so I checked back with the Marriott to see what we could do. They gave me a waiver for her and I to sign, which I thought was okay. I called her and she told me that she wouldn't be able to do it because now, magically she had two weddings the day of my wedding. I don't know if she truely did have two weddings booked or if she just didn't want to provide the information to the Marriott because she didn't have what they wanted. Either way, we went with another cake place. It was hard to get ahold of her and in the end, it didn't work out for us, whatever the ultimate reason was.
  • Bimbi284Bimbi284 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Too bad you had a less than stellar experience. I am working with her as well and honestly have yet to have problems. She is slow in responding to e-mails, but a little persistence on my part is fine for me, especially considering the price. I don't think she has ever not responded to me, even if it takes a week or two.She is also working with a custom recipe for our cake, and we have already had 2 tastings to make sure that the flavors are right. I never had a problem with her having to cancel tastings or anything like that. I find her very knowledgable and creative. She made it clear to us from the start that she is busy, and that it can be difficult to get a hold of her, especially on the weekends, so I guess I sort of expected that. Perhaps you didn't get that disclaimer.Again, sorry some of you didn't have such a great experience with her, but I felt it necessary to counter that with the good experience I have had with her thus far. Hopefully other knotties that have worked with her succesfully will also chime in here.
  • edited December 2011
    I gave her a good review in pp… despite not getting the refund check yet everything worked out fine for us for the actual wedding!
    imageimage
  • flower_loverflower_lover member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wow, how unfortunate. I hope you were able to get other cakes for your Mom's party, but it's sad if you had to scramble to get it done. It does sound like this woman takes on too much.
  • slcwslcw member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    YIKES!! I am a researcher, but maybe I did not research good enough! We booked her about a month ago for our wedding in two weeks. Her responding back to e-mails were not the best, but I put FI in charge of contact with her...He doesn't play, is very professional, and makes sure there is follow through! I guess worse comes to worse, we get the Costco cake I wanted!! But I hope she comes through!!!!!!!! There were soooo many good reviews from her on here and that's how I found her! So I hope my experience is good, sorry to hear about yours! Is she not licensed?? I guess I don't know if she told me she was, or if I assumed....
  • periippaperiippa member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    slcw, I'm not sure whether she's licensed yet. I just looked at an e-mail with her in April. This is what she said:I am not currently licensed, but will definitely be by the time of your event.  So if you like my prices and what I can offer, you might want to hold off giving them my info until the state licenses me (which should be within the next few months).So it's possible that she's licensed by now.
  • slcwslcw member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks! I definitely have FI in charge of this.....Making sure things fall into place as we were sold that they would be! I guess in three weeks I can put up a review about my experience!
  • chrissy1105chrissy1105 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm in the process of filing conciliation court papers against her, so I won't say more than BEWARE!! I wouldn't want what happened to us to happen to any of you!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards