South Asian Weddings

Saris

Hello Brides,I am a white American woman marrying an Indian Christian man. I'd love for my bridesmaids to wear sari's the day of the wedding but the reaction from most of my Indian friends is not what I expected. It seems like they don't want me to have my maids wear sari's (which I think are so classy and beautiful!). Any ideas why? Thanks for your help!!Hannah

Re: Saris

• Meghana55Meghana55 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi there- saw your reply on the Indian board!  Saris can definitely be difficult to wear for someone who isn't used to it.  Are the same friends who are telling you it's a bad idea the same ones that are in your bridal party?  How about an alternative...like having them wear a nice chudidhar/salwar kameez or a lehenga.  There are some really beautiful options out there and they would be much more comfortable than wearing a sari. 
  • edited December 2011
    I tend to agree with Meghana in that they are probably concerned that they won't feel comfortable or be able to wear them correctly.  I don't think saris are that difficult to wear if you have someone who can tie them or teach them how to move in them (ie. stairs, bathroom, etc).  If your BMs feel well to wear them, I say go for it!  You could always get the pleats pre-stitched so they just have to wear it like a wrap skirt. :)
  • edited December 2011
    I agree with others that the concern is almost certainly about the difficult of wearing a sar.  You know, I always heard horror stories about how difficult saris are to wear, but when FI and I got engaged and I started wearing them, I didn't find them to be nearly so bad as expected.  I rather like them.  So long as a) you get advice and pick a more easily manageable fabric (some are more slippery and harder to wear than others), and b) hire someone to dress the girls (having the saris pre-pleated will also help), you'll be fine. And speaking as a white girl, I think that most girls would prefer the challenge of wearing a sari to the safety of other Indian formal outfits just because the allure of the sari is so strong.  But ultimately, I think you should let your bridesmaids decide this.  My sisters were not interested in wearing saris to the wedding due to concerns about dancing in them.  Instead, they wore them to my mehendi, which was a great compromise.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards