New Mexico

Navajo Wedding

My fiance and I are in the beginning stages of planning a traditional Navajo wedding ceremony. Building a hogan and everything. Well, we will soon. We actually live in San Diego, because he is in the Navy. So its really hard to plan all of this from afar, and the only ones who know about the customs are elderly people and they dont really use the internet to post information! I've been cross referencing some books. I thought myself how to make frybread! Thats besides the point. Is there anyone who can shed some light on some things? For instance, how many people can usually fit inside a hogan? Do I send out invitations? I know there are already built hogans, i've seen them. I would like to just rent one instead of having his elderly grandfather build one (i would feel guilty) but i cant seem to find any information.

Re: Navajo Wedding

• melishka716melishka716 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have a Navajo friend. It might be a day or two, but I can try asking her. I know a lot of her family is still on the Res in NW NM, so let me see what I can find out. You can also try calling around that area. I'm sure someone can help.
  • edited December 2011
    Wow, I'm impressed that you're going to build your own hogan. That is so cool. (And frybread is a very important skill. I want to learn how to make blue corn mush. I got a lesson in Red Valley/Cove last year, but it didn't stick.) Maybe try the Navajo Museum in Wiindow Rock. I know they do lots of cultural activities and may be able to point you in the right direction. There's also the Dine College - they have a Dine Studies program that might be able to help. There's also a pretty strong Dine community at Northern Arizona University and their Navajo studies. From the hogans I have visited (Churchrock, Haystack, Cove) hogans seem to be whatever size you want. I found some info on tradiiton Dine weddings in the Gallup Independent. http://www.gallupindependent.com/2007/jan/011707jch_bluemushtradwdng.html http://www.gallupindependent.com/2007/march/032207jch_tradwdng.html Best of luck!
  • edited December 2011
    i am having a Navajo Wedding also. Yes you can send invitations, you dont have to have the Navajo ceremony in a hogan.... It can be in a Gazebo. Are you having a medicine man conduct a ceremony. I am having my Grandfather do mine. My wedding is 2010.. i am also on myknot under mark Trebian and Felicia martinez. Were having native foods also and dinner of beef.
  • edited December 2011
    when i s your wedding? I am Navajo from Crownpoint NM also having a traditional Navajo wedding. My grandfather is a medicine man who is marrying us. AND i have a good friend to marry us legally. wow send me a message lets get some ideas foryou.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards