Registry and Gift Forum

I DO NOT want more stuff!

I know I can't ask for $, but we're both around 30 and have a house full of stuff.  I don't want to register for china and silver, because we're just not that fancy! :)  I don't want stuff that we're just not going to use.  We're a little older, so we're paying for most of wedding ourselves.  What is the proper thing to do?!?!?  We'd so much rather have money!  What am I to do?  HELP PLEASE!!!!

Re: I DO NOT want more stuff!

• The usual suggestion is to make a very smal registry (or none at all) and spread by word of mouth that you are saving for (Fill in the blank). 

The idea of making a small registry is that some people really like to give physical gifts and will by you something, even if you didn't register.  By registering you get to guide your guests towards items you might want/use.  So, could you use an extra set of mathcing, fluffy towels?  Or a blender that can actually break and crush ice? 
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Make a small registry of things you'd like to upgrade (or appliances you don't have, but would like, such as a mixer, panini press, etc.), and people will likely infer you prefer cash gifts.  Don't plan on using the cash received to pay for your wedding--plan the wedding you can comfortably afford without counting on receiving a certain amount of cash as gifts. 
  • aegrishaegrish member
    First Comment

You are most likely going to have guests that give you gifts and not cash anyways.  as PP said at least have a SMALL registry for them to choose from.  I didn't register for China or Silver either...there has to be things you could use an upgrade on...or even decor, linens, small appliances/furniture items.

• noodle_oonoodle_oo member
    First Comment
    edited May 2011
    If you don't need more stuff, why not just not have a registry?  People will either pick something they think you'll like or give you cash.  Honestly, if you don't need anything, just don't ask for anything.

Asking for cash outright is rude.  No way to do that that isn't tacky.
  • Just burn it all. Problem sloved. Your welcome.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_not-want-stuff?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:c73dd88a-2543-4b30-9229-315e8624ef8cPost:cb46f33a-df97-4cd8-b8f6-01f8db93def4">Re: I DO NOT want more stuff!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Just burn it all. Problem sloved. Your welcome.
    Posted by LovinLong11[/QUOTE]
    You're*
    The Happiest 5K on the Planet! Color Run 2012
    "I think the threat of 'You've ticked off The Brides!' might do it." Anniversary LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_not-want-stuff?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:c73dd88a-2543-4b30-9229-315e8624ef8cPost:e3d0a951-698f-4dc2-a2a6-f374b063d8e3">Re: I DO NOT want more stuff!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: I DO NOT want more stuff! : You're*
    Posted by MelissaAnne88[/QUOTE]

Thanks lady friend!
  • direy25direy25 member
    First Anniversary First Comment

I'm sorry, but I never understand this view.  DH and I are also in our 30's, already owned our own place before we were married and had a bunch of our own stuff.  We were still able to find a ton of stuff that we wanted to upgrade - new sheet sets, pots & pans, dishes, silverware, towels, etc.  I can't tell you how amazing our new bedding is!  It's not necessarily about "more" stuff, just "better" stuff.

Married 5.6.11

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• I agree with direy25...my FI & I are in our 30's, have successful careers, we both have homes of our own (we moved into one & rent out the other now), but we spent a lot of the cash we've earned to buy things like homes, etc.
    We spent less on or not at all on necessary or premium items like the really nice stand mixer, or the vacuum cleaner, etc.
    Ex- I have a stand mixer, but it's cheaper and and it has limitations I wish it didn't.  I would love to get the kitchen aid I've got on my registry.  I'll be pleased as punch if a couple of people go in together and get it for us. 
    And it's not like ome of the items we're asking for upgrades on won't find a new home...my one niece would love if she could have my old stand mixer, because it's an upgrade for her.
    But if you're well & truly decided on avoiding the upgrade route...then follow the advice of the ladies telling you to keep your registry small.  That way guests will be more inclined to give cash and for those that feel uncomfortable doing that, they have some choices and ideas of the styles and looks you are comfortable with.
    "It's easy to halve the potato where there's love." - Irish Proverb
  • eh, I think you can find a happy medium.  I too, don't need a ton of stuff, but I can always find a few things to add to my BB&B registry for the people who really want to go to the store, look at my registry and buy me a gift, wrap it, etc.  

I also think you can get creative- we have a wish registry (www.uponourstar.com) that is much more than a honeymoon registry- we have all kinds of household things, remodeling things, furniture, tools, cabinets! on it- things we need for our house, but don't really fit on the traditional Macy's or Target registry. 

So why not go with a little of both- compromise :)  
  • I am in the same situation. My fiance and I have lived together for years now and don't need anything in particular. I was considering doing a small register at a common department store and maybe a vacation registry.
  • No one is saying you have to register. So don't.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards