Registry and Gift Forum

Around the clock gifts

My friend and her mother are throwing me an "around the clock" shower and I have already had three friends criticize my registry for not having items appropriate to their suggested times - 5 am, midnight, 3 pm.  I thought that I had everything covered with the basics (sheets, towels, cookware, breakfast in bed trays, drinkware, etc.) but apparently not...I'm not opposed to people buying off registry (or buying for whatever time they like!) but I know it would be eaiser and more helpful to have more options on the registry.  Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can add to my registry? 

Re: Around the clock gifts

• I guess it really depends on what you actually need/want but this is what I could think of for the times you mentioned. 5am ~ alarm clock, coffee makerMidnight ~ anything that could be used to make a midnight snack like an ice cream maker or cookie jar3pm ~ I feel like anything you've already registered for could apply for that time of day.
  • Honestly it is not your fault that your friend and mom were rude and directed guests what to buy. When asked say ignore the times and buy whatever you like on teh registry or off.
  • My FMIL and her friend are throwing a couples shower for us and it's "round the clock". I think it is SO stupid and I'm annoyed that people are like "well what do you do at 8p or 10a, so I can get you a gift." It makes me feel so weird and uncomfortable and I refused to put things on our registry that we didn't need just b/c times of the shower. I think if they want to buy us a gift it should be anything they think we would like not what I can use at 5am! Sorry for the rant!
  • There is always the it is 5oclock somewhere idea. I have used this for a round the clock shower I got invited to. I had 2am but wanted to buy them the platter the bride had said really wanted. Well I figures out where in teh world it wa 2am at dinner time here and wronga note saying that I was buying it to 2am in a different country
  • GIFT IDEAS: 12am: popcorn maker & silly movie or 1 free panic about the wedding phone call 5am: hangover cure kit or watch the sunrise kit 3pm: gift card to local movie house, museum, etc. or a set of homemade gift cards for a nap with the hubby/wife.
  • Personally, if I got an invite from one of my friends for a round the clock party, here's what I would get them, whether it was on the registry or not.5 am - Breakfast/Wake up stuff: Waffle Maker, coffee pot, gift card to their favorite breakfast place, juice glasses, coffee mugs, a collection of different coffees or hot chocolates, an alarm clock, a yummy smelling, help start your day shampoo or lotion or body wash, comfy towelsMidnight - At midnight, I'm sleeping! So I would get them comfy things for their bed, ie sheets, pillows, comforters, eyemasks, earplugs and things to help them relax, comfy pjs, sexy pjs, maybe relaxing music cds, or relaxing lotions or massage oils. 3 pm - I'm starting to think of dinner plans so either any of the kitchen stuff you registered for or gift cards to a favortie restaurant you have.  As a side note, we registered for a bunch of stuff we only half wanted and luckily, my friends and family for the most part bought things that they knew we wanted the most.  Otherwise, I got a ton of gift cards to go out and buy the things we still needed off our registry.  If your friends are TRULY struggling, tell them to get you a gift card to the store you are registered at and then they can go shopping with you to see what you pick out.  Hope that helps
  • mjcline17 is one smart cookie!  Listen to her advice!
  • if your friends want to throw you a themed party, that's not rude, it's thoughtful! they're trying to make it special and be creative. 5am, midnight, and 3pm are easy---- shower and getting ready stuff for 5am---bathrobe, make up brushes, shower products, coffee/espresso maker, coffee mugs, toaster, etc... midnight-champagne glasses, eye mask for sleeping, bed sheets, slippers, DVD player, maybe massage oils, candles, sexy lingerie?!?! 3pm-what's your hobby?? what do you at 3pm on a sunday when there's nothing else to do? gardening? scrapbooking? painting? photography? cooking? you could do almost anything at 3pm! Good Luck and just be gracious and grateful for your friends and the thoughtfulness :)
  • Thanks to everyone for the suggestions... Just to clarify I didn't think it was rude at all for them to throw me the shower and have the around the clock theme - I am actually really excited about it!! It's some of my less-creative friends that are having the hard time with it. So maybe I get a bunch of alarm clocks...it never hurts to have a back-up on those "can't get out of bed" kind of mornings! I'll let you all know how it goes!
  • OMG!!  This is so much fun, you don't even know!  We had an around the clock shower for my cousin and had a blast!  It was mostly family including grandparents and I was just a kid at the time but it was not inappropriate at all!  I don't think that she registered for items for all the times (I actually think the theme was a surprise for her) and guests just got a little creative!  Say they already got you a coffee pot and got the midnight time slot.  If the bride were a student they can write a funny little comment on how this will help her on all those late study nights so she can graduate!  I have to tell you, I am so jealous.  I would LOVE to have a shower like this!  What was really funny was that with a lot of the time slots she got a gift (like a picnic basket) and some sort of negligee! It was fun! I hope you have a great time!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • The shower was amazing!!!  My friend and her mom did an awesome job - we had such a great time almost everyone stayed an extra hour and just hung out!  My friends and family came up with all sorts of great ideas for the different times "around the clock" - frying pans for grilled cheese sandwiches at 2 am, breakfast in bed stuff for 8 am, snack bowls and recipes for late afternoon...it was overwhelming.  I hope all of you have such a wonderful time at your showers!  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards