Texas-San Antonio

Are we supposed to invite the officiant to the reception?

I was thinking about my final head count and I wasn't sure what the standard was. Do I invite the officiant to the reception? He's just someone we've hired, he has no connection to any friends or family. Also, what about a solo violinist or musician playing during the ceremony?
Photobucket

Re: Are we supposed to invite the officiant to the reception?

• edited December 2011
    I'm not completely sure what the eqtiquette is, but we are inviting our officiant and his wife to the reception. The officiant is actually the husband of my hair lady, but we didn't know either one before this whole wedding craziness. I actually already know they can't come to the reception (he's doing a Christmas sermon that night), but I'm still offering them to-go dinners since I'm sure they'll be hungry and would appreciate the meal.

Actually, speaking of this, do you think I need to offer a meal to the DJ since he will be there all night?  My photographers are getting a meal, but it was actually specified in their contract that we need to provide one. Hmm... are you offering meals to any other vendors?

• edited December 2011
    I haven't met my officiant yet, but I wasn't planning on inviting him...
  • edited December 2011
    I would say yes, you should invite the officiant and his wife to the reception. If they are just a hired vendor, then I would probably expect a decline or they will just stay through dinner.

As far as vendor meals, any vendor with you at the reception should be fed including photographers, DJs, wedding planners, and anyone else you might have. More caterers offer a vendor meal at a lower price and if you are having a buffet, there should be plenty left for them to grab a plate from.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    It's really up to you.  If you've developed some rapport with your officiant and want to share the reception and include them it's fine.  However, it's not normally something that is done.  Once the ceremony is over, pictures are taken and the license is signed I'm normally on my way to meeting with other brides etc.  It really depends on your relationship level and what works out the best for you and your budget.  Please feel free to contact me - revjudith@unforgettablevows.com  Hope this was helpful!

Best Wishes on your Special Day!
    Rev. Judith Harper
  • sarainaustinsarainaustin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Our wedding coordinator said that it was proper ettiquette to invite your officiant to the reception.  If they don't know you, they'll probably step out anyways.  Some officiants are very pleased with their line of work and find it nice to see the couple that they just married so happy. 

As far as providing meals for all vendors...  Always include vendors that are present in the meal count.  That includes DJs, Photographers, Wedding Coordinators, Videographers, etc.  Now the flower delivery guy or the cake delivery guy, you obviously don't have to worry about.  But if they're there for the length of the reception, they should always be included.  Vendors expect that AND you wouldn't want to risk the food running out when they help themselves anyways.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards