Moms and Maids

OK ladies...need some help!

My daughter came home today in a panic.  We have had an easy go of the RSVP thing, everyone has behaved, replied, and we only had to call 10 folks at the end.  Til now....So here's the deal.  My Heather started a new job in August, and it is really important to her.  When it came time to invite, she included her boss, several co-workers and the HR person.  The HR person was invited as "woman's name and guest" and she replied that she would be attending.So, today, she shows up at my daughter's door and says, "by the way, I'll know the people coming with us by the weekend, but it could be as many as 8", and then she leaves the doorway.  I need a "speech" for her to give to this lady that nicely says...nope, only 2, no more.HELP!!!!  Thanks :)

Re: OK ladies...need some help!

• handfast4mehandfast4me member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    How's this:  Hi Nice Lady that knows jack about etiquette!  Well, Ok, maybe not.  How about this: Hi Ms LASTNAME, this is Heather's mom.  I wanted to give you a call to let you know that although we'd like to invite many more people than we have, our space in the venue is very tight.  I know you'll understand that because of fire codes, we have space for only yourself and ONE guest.  So, I just wanted to ask you for the name of your ONE guest so that we can include it on the seating arrangements.   
    image Don't mess with the old dogs; age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! BS and brilliance only come with age and experience.
  • trix1223trix1223 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    wow, muffin's mom!  If I hadn't had surgery on my jaw today, it would be on the floor!  Good thing it's being held up by a nifty ice pack....I'd absolutely call her and tell her that there must have been a misunderstanding.  There is only room in the venue/budget for she and one guest.  You hope she can still attend, but if, because of her OOT guests, you'll understand if she can't and she'll be missed.Good luck with that one.  That's just astonishing!!
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • edited December 2011
    I know what you mean...the up to 8 thing really slayed me :)
    My baby girl is a married woman...and now my baby girl HAS a baby girl. Time unfolds in such an amazing way. I've been blessed!
  • duckie1905duckie1905 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That's ridiculous. Maybe your daughter can say something to the effect of: "I really appreciate your excitement but due to our budget and available space we can only accommodate you and a guest. i hope you'll still be able to make it." This woman seems like a wing nut...who the hell is she thinking of bringing?
  • edited December 2011
    Ditto hand fast but include something about how you woudl t5otally understand her changing her RSVP to 0 due to having guests in town that she is obligated to hostess
  • TruchanaTruchana member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Maybe she meant she would know which guests from work were actually coming and it could be around 8.  I don't know why someone would think they could invite 8 additional guests to a wedding?  I think your daughter just needs to clarify with her, as awkward as it might be.
  • edited December 2011
    Not only does the 8 peole thing slay me, but the fact that she is in HR just tops it off.  This is the person people are to call on when they are having interpersonal difficulties at work! If she doesn't understand that "and guest" is singular how the heck does she deal with sexual harrasment in the work place???? Unbelievable! I hope she is just the kind of busy body that thinks she is in charge of collecting the office/group RSVP and it was just a misunderstanding.  If she really thinks she is bringing 7 or 8 people the bride and groom don't even know then WOW!
  • handfast4mehandfast4me member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It does not surprise me that the HR person is doing this.  Where I work, the "health communications" folks are the WORST communicators.  Evah. 
    image Don't mess with the old dogs; age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! BS and brilliance only come with age and experience.
  • Kristin789Kristin789 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If Heather works where I work, the HR lady is sort of the coordinator for social activities. And that HR lady would have already talked to Heather's boss and the several co-workers who were invited. When the HR lady said "could be as many as 8," she would be referring to these people: HR lady (no guest, because she's the busybody at work) Heather's boss and husband Co-worker 1 (no guest) Co-worker 2 (probably with live-in lover, but maybe not - does not have definite answer yet but will know by Friday morning for sure) Co-worker 3 (probably with husband but maybe not because husband travels in his job and is gone 2 weekends a month - will check the schedule and let HR lady/RSVP coordinator know by Friday morning for sure)Total from work right now is 6 for sure, but could be as many as 8.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards