Oklahoma

family issues.. need advice

So I stopped talking to my family almost a year ago.. and some certain relatives have heard I am getting married but I was not planning on inviting anyone except my brother.. but they have made certain comments about expecting an invite and I know with as much as they gossip the whole family probably knows by now!! So should I such it up and invite the ones I can bare to talk to and if so how do I just invite certain ones and not all of them...???!

Re: family issues.. need advice

• edited December 2011
    I have certain family members I haven't seen or spoken to in YEARS (specifically my father and 1 of my grandpas)--they did not get invited to our wedding.  It would've been extremely awkward for me and lots of my other family members if they were there...and I just didn't want them there.  I don't regret it at all....I look at it like they haven't been around for any other moments/events/etc in my life, so why should they get to be there for my wedding?  Watching someone get married is a very special thing and part of me felt that they didn't deserve to be there....If you don't think you'll regret it, which it sounds like you won't, then don't invite them (none of them--don't even mess with inviting some but not all).  Family or not, only the people you truly WANT there on your special, once in a lifetime day should be there.  Given my personal experience, hopefully this helped a little and my bitterness/anger didn't get in the way of giving advice :o)  good luck!
  • MKStarMKStar member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't have any issues with my family so its hard for me to give adice on the issue. From an outside perspective I think you should only invite the ones you want to be there. When its all done you could just send an announcement of marriage to the others with a photo of you and your new husband looking really happy. It shows you are the bigger person by keeping them in the loop of the major events going on in your life and it shows them how happy you are. Just my suggestion.
  • lizardrach812lizardrach812 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    if you don't talk or keep in contact with them, who cares about what they say about you?i agree with the above mentioned.  invite the ones you want and send an announcement to the rest.  then let them say what they will.it's your day that should be about you and your new husband.  family drama should not be a part of it.  if your family wants to mend fences (which it seems all they really want to do is gossip), in my opinion, someone's wedding is not the time to try and do it.  maybe afterwards, you guys can set up a celebration get together if the rest of the family is up for it.good luck.  i know family issues can be really delicate situations, and i wish you all the best.
  • virgo6256virgo6256 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I second that motion. Don't invite anyone that you wouldn't want there.  If you think it would bother having them there then don't. It isn't worth you worrying about that on your Special Day. You need to focus on you and your FI. That's all you'll have time to deal with anyways.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards