Wedding Etiquette Forum

Hosted Cocktail Hour listed on Reception Card

Is it ok to list that the cocktail hour will be hosted by the B&G?  Our reception package includes unlimited drinks for the hour and I want to make sure that our guests are aware.  The reception will be cash bar only.  By pointing out that the cocktail hour is hosted, do you think that would lead guests to believe that the reception will also be hosted bar?  We are thinking of having the reception card read:  
Hosted cocktail hour begins at five. 
Dinner and dancing at six thirty
Name/Location of reception

Thoughts, suggestions?

Re: Hosted Cocktail Hour listed on Reception Card

• I would just host what you can afford for the WHOLE time period. So if that means just wine and beer but you can host that all evening, that's what I'd do.

It can be really awkward for guests to go buy a beer at 600 and its free, but then at 630 it's not free. I've also seen these "time limits" to open bars at weddings I have attended. Usually when guests knew there was a time limit, they would load up on alcohol early and just keep it at their table to drink later. So it didn't really save the hosts any money as much of that "pre-purchased" alchohol ended up not getting drunk anyway.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • Cash bars are a really big etiquette no no. Could you afford to change it from cash bar to Beer/Wine only? 
  • freebread03freebread03 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited June 2012
    I wouldn't think that your reception bar is hosted just because your cocktail hour is hosted...I'd think it was hosted because I don't expect to open my wallet at an event that I'm invited to.  I, like most others, think it's quite rude to expect your guests pay for their own drinks during your reception.  It would be even worse if I'd been ordering drinks at cocktail hour and then had to pay for drinks for the rest of the night.  I'd definitely be one of the people at the bar ordering a drink and then realizing that I had no cash with me.  Embarrasing for your guests, but even more for you.

Why not just host beer and wine for the entire event?  I'm sure you could talk with your venue and determine how you can swing that, rather than paying for a full open bar for the cocktail hour.
  • I would super-strongly suggest not having cash-anything at your wedding. If possible, nix the open bar for the hour and have a limited bar (maybe beer, wine and sodas only) for the entire event.  It's very poor etiquette to do anything at a wedding which would cause a guest to have to open their wallets (cash bars, dollar dances, "honeymoon fund" jars, etc.).

I went to a wedding that was a cash bar once. I ordered my drink, the bar tendered handed it to me, and just as I turned to walk away... "$6.00 please." I HAD TO GIVE MY DRINK BACK to the bartender because I didn't have cash on me at all... didn't think I would need to bring cash to a wedding, because weddings are supposed to be hosted.

I could see this scenario happening with your guests when the bar is free one minute, and then they go back to get their next drink after the cocktail hour is over and the bartender asks them to pay for it. And no, you shouldn't try to alleviate this situation by printing on the invitation that cocktail hour only is hosted.

Host what you can afford for the entire event only.

• I see that you're in MSP, and I know in many circles around here cash bars are not as big of an issue as they tend to be in other areas.

However, I agree with the others that having the cocktail hour be hosted fully and the rest of the time not be can be confusing and potentially embarrassing for guests.  I agree that finding a way to switch things around so you can host something the whole time is the best option.  If that's not possible, then I don't think the cocktail hour should be hosted either.

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_hosted-cocktail-hour-listed-on-reception-card?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:4e92aefb-9978-4bf1-a11f-eb931d864961Post:8accd8ae-6940-401a-bb1b-52245489df8f">Hosted Cocktail Hour listed on Reception Card</a>:
    [QUOTE]Is it ok to list that the cocktail hour will be hosted by the B&G?  Our reception package includes unlimited drinks for the hour and I want to make sure that our guests are aware.  The reception will be cash bar only.  By pointing out that the cocktail hour is hosted, do you think that would lead guests to believe that the reception will also be hosted bar?  We are thinking of having the reception card read:   Hosted cocktail hour begins at five.  Dinner and dancing at six thirty Name/Location of reception Thoughts, suggestions?
    Posted by bkend879[/QUOTE]

Instead of 'Hosted cocktail hour begins at five." say "Hosted cocktail hour from 5-6 PM" You can put a nice sign on the bar that says:

'Cocktail hour 5-6PM.
    Cash bar opens 6pm.'

You could also tell your parents, siblings, and bridal party/groomsmen so that the word starts to get out and put the full details on your wedding website (if you have one) so that your guests know to have cash with them.
  • SB1512SB1512 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment First Anniversary
    I always bring cash with me to a wedding (even when it's open bar I still like to leave a $1 tip every time I order a drink) so I personally would be prepared for a cash bar, but I do agree that it's rude to ask your guets to shell out money at an event that is thanking them for attending your ceremony.  I agree with others on trying to have an open bar the entire time, even if it means hosting only wine, beer, maybe a signature drink and then non alcoholic beverages.  Or if you want all liquor to be available (and if you don't have big drinkers attending your wedding) see if you can do a consumption bar instead.  Depending on how your crowd drinks it could be cheaper than paying for open bar. 
  • You shouldn't write "hosted cocktail hour" on your invitation, because if you are inviting someone to an event, it's assumed that you are hosting said event.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards