Flowers

Nutral flowers that will hold up?

I'm trying to decide on flowers for the corsages for the women in the family (godmother, FSIL etc)As most of them don't know what they are wearing yet we want to order corsages that will match what they wear no matter what, but we want them to be different than the mothers of the bride. We were thinking freesia, but the florist said they wouldn't hold up, that it would be wrecked with the first hug. Is that true? Our next option might be Gardenia, will the florist say the same thing? Will Gardenia hold up? The florist keeps suggesting roses (same as the rest of the bridal party) but I think that's b/c they know they will hold up well. She's afraid to be blamed if they don't last as long as the roses I'm sure. Any advice on a white flower (not carnations, roses or orchids) that will last throughout the night and wont freak my florist out to make?cheers!

Re: Nutral flowers that will hold up?

• edited December 2011
    Seems like freesia would be better than gardenia.How about getting them wristlets, or a very small handtied bouquet?
    NestBaby Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    The mothers are having orchids, and the BMs are having roses, and I'm not too keen on carnations... I suppose we could go with orchids, but I wanted to set them apart from the mothers. I guess we could just beef up the mothers' corsages to set them apart.... thanks
  • edited December 2011
    Ask about Gerber daisies.  They're fun looking but fairly casual, so they shouldn't compete with the moms, but I think they're fairly hardy and should do well all night.
  • bohmankjbohmankj member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    How about Football Mums, my florist suggested these for corsages.  They come in all sorts of colors and they are big enough that you may only need one per peice.
  • edited December 2011
    Gerbera DAisys are great, but they will start to fade about 1/2 way through the evening if they aren't in water (atleast that's what my florist told me, as I had mostly Gerbs for my wedding flowers).  That might be hard for a corsage (vs. a bouquet).  I really like the mum idea.
  • WGachesWGaches member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Gardenias will wreak havoc on anybody who has allergies - the same with freesia. Why not go with alstroemeria? (Also known as peruvian lilies) They come in white, are not scented, and don't have copious amounts of pollen like normal hybrid lilies so hugging won't be a problem.
    *Jeremiah 29:11* SoyFreeBlog
  • edited December 2011
    Here's my two cents (and I know I may feel the wrath of other posters, since it doesn't actually answer the question!) You might want to seriously consider a wrist corsage. It solves the problem of crushing flowers when people hug. We kind of made that decision last minute because we realized my mom didn't want to pin something on the beaded dress she chose and my MIL couldn't really pin something to the strapless dress she wore. Just a thought since they don't know the style of their dresses yet.
  • eas2730eas2730 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I like the idea of wrist corsages to avoid any crushing and beaded dresses or other fabrics that may be problematic. I nice spray of stephanotis would be nice.I'm doing brooches and pins for family members, similar to the brooches being used on my bouquet.Good luck!
  • On_Cloud_NineOn_Cloud_Nine member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What about small rose buds, rather than fully formed roses? They come in white, and they look very pretty on a corsage.My next suggestion is tulips. They come in white, as well. But I'm not sure how well tulips hold up in a corsage. Good luck finding something that works!
  • edited December 2011
    Oh, some excellent ideas ladies! Yes, my Gransmother asked specifically for a wrist corsage.. I will ask the others what they prefer , great idea. Cheers!
  • hillaryeggerthillaryeggert member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Freesia and gardenia really aren't the best for corsages, I agree with your florist there.  But geez, they aren't coming up with any ideas for you other than roses?  That's their job, lol!We did alstromeria as a PP stated, they looked great and really held up. I was just a bridesmaid in a wedding last weekend that used calla lilies and they did great as well.Good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    We actually did white roses!  But, the mother of the bride's corsages were the same as the guest book attendant, etc.  We did white to make sure it matched regardless of what they wore...you could probably figure out the dress colors of the women of the family pretty easily so you could do a rose in a different color.
  • edited December 2011
    I think that calla lilies would be perfect for both a wrist corsage or a pin on one.  They are very sturdy and will last very well.  Also, they pair nicely with the other flowers you will be having. 
  • edited December 2011
    I would re-consider the orchids idea - there are so many different varieties of orchids that would look different from the moms, but still be durable and beautiful. Just a thought!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • HeidinKarlHeidinKarl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I used Gardenias as my main flower for my first wedding. Gardenias can hold up well without water, but are easily bruised. I agree that wrist corsages would be best, if you go the gardenia route.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards