Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

Ribbon Wands?

Thinking about doing ribbon wands for everyone to wave during the recessional. Has anyone seen these at a wedding or planning to do this? Any feedback? I like the idea in theory because they are no fuss, easy to use, add color, and are a little different...I thought they'd look cool in the pictures, but the few I've found online, I can't decide if I like or not. I saw the idea on a blog months ago and I keep coming back to it...Thanks!

Re: Ribbon Wands?

• Options
    I've seen them on a few blogs and in Knot bios.Honest opinion, I think they look really dopey. Especially when grown men are waving them. I like the way rose petals look in photos, personally, otherwise my vote goes to skipping the props since people will probably clap on their own. A lot of people do bells or noisemakers. Check with your ceremony site to see if they prohibit things being thrown (rice, birdseed, eco-confetti, petals). It's a million times better than releasing butterflies or doves or balloons, though, so that's a plus. I would do ribbon wands in a heartbeat over these three things, if I had to choose something.
  • Options
    I have to ditto pp - I think they look pretty dopey too.  There really aren't too many men who will stand outside the church ready to wave a ribbon wand and actually do it.  Heck, I'd feel pretty dopey doing that.  They remind me of something little girls carry with their princess costume on Halloween.  They generate a lot of snarky remarks around here too.  
  • Options
    The 4 year old preschool little girls I teach LOVE ribbon wands. They would be thrilled to get one! There isn't any way that my DH, or my son, or my SIL, nor almost any man I know would want to stand and wave fairy princess wands at a wedding. For that matter, I wouldn't either. I think it's a lot of time, effort and $$ spent on something silly. Skil them. Just have your guests clap and cheer as you leave. Easy, free, and not lame.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    **skip them
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    Honestly it looks like a 6 year old playing rythem gymnastics to me and makes adults look silly
  • Options
    just say no to ribbon wands - they are a gateway drug to horribleness.
  • Options
    My cousin and his wife got married in the fall and she's from Canada so we threw maple leaves, it looked amazing in the pix with all the colors and was cheap to do.  I agree with the others on ribbon wands, might sound cool in theory, not so much in practice
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    As others pointed out, most guests feel a little silly using wands. I've never been to a wedding where guests waved wands, threw rice or petals IN the church or ceremony recessional. It was always done outside, as the couple leaves the reception, or leaves the church. Keep in mind, if you want guests to throw or wave anything, you will need someone to pass them out, and let the guests know when and where to do this. All the great photos you see, have likely been orchestrated by a wedding planner/coordinator, or the photographer.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards