Getting in Shape
Options

Dying of boredom on the treadmill

I attempted to play Gin Rummy on my phone.... didn't work so great.  I think I'd get a headache if I tried reading... does ANYONE have anything remotely interesting that they do while on their treadmill. TIA!

Re: Dying of boredom on the treadmill

• Options
    My ipod helps a lot, i tend to zone out to music and not realize time is passing so quickly. You could also try doing intervals, it keeps you more focused and you arent watching the time tick by in a negative way. I did 10 minutes of running intervals on the treadmill on saturday and it zipped by faster than I can expres!
  • Options
    I listen to audio books on my ipod. That way I'm less likely to trip but I still get a story that keeps me interested. Plus I'm a sucker for books and the audio books help me to stay motivated. I don't listen to them unless I'm exercising, so I have to work out if I want to know what happens next. It's also a great way to reward myself (some of them are expensive!) because it keeps me back exercising in order to enjoy it! HTH!
  • Options
    I like to run on the treatmills that have the track monitor, so I an see where I am on the track.  This helps pass the time.

I have seen people read magizines before on the treadmill and I don't know how they don't get a headache. 
  • Options
    I would die from boredom without my ipod.

I also create pyramid or step workouts in which I change speeds every 5 or 10 minutes. They let me zone out to my music, but force me to pay attention to what I am doing so I can stay on the treadmill for an hour without getting too bored.
  • Options
    The only thing that helps me on the treadmill is having my Ipod but also a TV on. That way I can zone out to my music but when that gets to be too much I can distract myself by watching a TV show.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I zone out to music and I people watch.  The machines in my gym are on the side of the track, so there's a lot of interesting people watching that can go on.
  • Options
    I was going to suggest audio books, but lizzie beat me to it.  Audible is a good subscription site that I've used in the past.
    We'll just not tell H about this little fact, m'kay?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'll also add a big thumbs up for the ipod/mp3 player suggestions.  I find that I can work out so much harder and so much longer when I'm distracted by music I love.  If you have access to a video ipod or something similar, you can also download your favorite movies/tv shows to it and watch while running.  I find that an hour goes by really quickly when I'm into the latest episode of a show I love.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Closed on our house 4-15-11!
  • Options
    I couldn't live without my iPod. I hook up my fave shows and watch them while I walk. It's a good "treat" Cool
  • Options
    Audiobooks are such a good idea! I read the gym magazines but they're kind of blah :( I've tried reading books and it works for a little but then I remember I'm exercising. Haha...Oh, and DO NOT READ on a treadmill. I only do it on the elliptical because when I do it on the treadmill I trip or devote myself more to the reading and less to the exercise. I've tried my iPod, but it's not enough distraction for me.
  • Options
    Thank you so much for all of the suggestions.  I think I will definitely get some audiobooks and only listen to them while working out.  I love that idea.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards