Getting in Shape

gym question

I just joined a gym today! I also found out I have tendonitis in my shoulder and ahve to start physical therapy. No big deal but I am nervous about using the arm machines until the pain stops. If I use the treadmill, the stationary bike, and stair climber is that enough? Would I be getting a good workout? Sorry if this sounds stupid but I have never done the gym thing before but usually just do workout videos. Thanks!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: gym question

• There are no stupid questions!!  It all depends on what type of workout you want.  A treadmill can give you an excellent cardio workout, but it won't do much for muscle tone (maybe a little in your legs).  It will burn calories.  I am kind of a cardio queen, that's about all I do, but weight lifting, etc is also important.  I would say start with the cardio machines and add some weights and stuff with your arms whenever you're ready, after some PT.  GL!
  • Thanks! I know there are no stupid questions but sometimes I feel like I know nothing about fitness or losing weight the correct way. UGH
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I believe using just the cardio machines until you feel comfortable enough to use your shoulder is perfectly fine. I was told once by a trainer that the best way to lose overall body weight was cardio (especially an elliptical) and then gradually add in some light weightlifting with alot of reps to tone.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards