Registry and Gift Forum

Number of registry items?

I recently registered at Macy's, and they suggested I put double the number of items on my registry as the number of invited guests. I'm inviting 225 people, and there are not 450 items I need or even want! Also, do you think it would look gift-grabby to have a list of 400+ items? I do. I registered for 80-90 so far and I think even that looks like a lot. I want people to have options to choose from, but I don't want to look like a spoiled brat either. Lastly, do you think it's ok to registered for several items that are $400+, I did some pots and pans sets, and a dyson.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Number of registry items?

• Could you do a second registry? I posted something similar a few down, so you may want to also read that advice. I think it's ok to register for some expensive items, especially since most stores offer a discount for you to complete the registry ater the wedding. We have 1 item that is $300 (An Orek). I broke up the pots & pans by registering individualy because I'd rather have half a set than no set. I guess it depends on how badly you need those items. You can always pool gift cards for the more expensive items as well.
    Married on 8/7/10 My Bio
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Anniversary
  • I would aim for twice your invitation count to give guests options. If 5 people are from 1 family, you don't need to register for 10 gifts, just 2. All price ranges are fine (yes, even a couple in the hundreds), but most people will spend under 60. With the expensive stuff, some people like to pool up for one big gift. My aunts on my mom's side like to do this.
    PhotobucketAnniversary Holiday
  • We registered for about 60-70 things and our guest list is about 200 people.  The prices are anywhere from $6 to almost $400.  We mainly just registered for the things we really want and/or need.  If the things on there start to get bought up, we can always add more stuff later.  We did register for a few pricey things because some family members or circles of friends like to go in together and give a "big" gift. 
    Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
  • Perhaps a second registry would be a good idea.  I know what you mean about sounding gift grabby.  We have a 370 person guest list and the idea of registering for 900 things makes me ill.  We're having 3 registries and will just keep an eye on them and if we need to add more things as it gets closer to our showers and the wedding then we will. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • aharris114196aharris114196 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited March 2010
    Your guest count can be slightly misleading, although Macy's is on the right track. You might be inviting 225 people, but how many of those are coming as couples? Try counting your invitations. If you're sending out 125 invitations, you should be doubling THAT number. So, say, 250 items. You want to make sure you have enough gifts for everyone, and some people WILLbuy you more than one item (most people won't buy you a wash cloth, they'll buy you a bath towel, a hand towel, and a wash cloth.)
    It's always a good idea to register for a wide variety of items. Some people will want to spend a few hundred dollars, and it also gives options for people who want to pitch in a buy you something big. You can also break up large sets. Most cookware and cutlery sets come open stock, and that significantly breaks up the cost of some of your most expensive items. You'll also get a lot of gift cards, too, so you can come back and buy that Dyson you want if you don't get it!
    --Registry consultant (but not for Macy's, I promise).
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards