Oklahoma

Question about Reception seating...

So I've seen on The Knot where it suggests (or strongly advises) that you do a seating chart, even for a buffet dinner.  I actually like the idea of assigning seats, just because a) I like control (why lie?) and b) I can picture some of my younger friends sitting next to my older relatives, and it's not pretty.  The problem I run into at my venue (Festivities in El Reno), is that I don't have enough room inside the reception area to set up enough seating for all of my guests.  We plan to flip the courtyard area where the ceremony will take place so that it will have some tables and chair for guests to eat at/hang out at during the reception.  The weather should be nice (fingers crossed), and a lot of our friends smoke, so we know they will spend some time outside anyway.  So my problem is - do I do a seating chart and have some people assigned to sit outside?  or do I just let it go and let everyone find their own table/seat?  No matter what, I will reserve a table for the wedding party and the parents/grandparents, but I'm not sure if that is all I should do.Opinions please?

Re: Question about Reception seating...

• edited December 2011
    ooooooo...toughy! I found a seating chart very helpful! I would probably say do one...and have the smoking friends sit outside (maybe causually suggest it to them before hand to see if they are offended sitting outside). But then what if the weather is crappy? (dont mean to jinx you!)...hmmmmm....  HTH and Good Luck!
  • virgo6256virgo6256 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You may want to keep in mind that some of the people won't sit for long and others will camp out. I have been to a lot of weddings and except for sitting and having a bite to eat. I didn't sit down at all. And some people may not abide by the seating chart no matter what the cards say. I would do some sort of a seating chart and then just let things happen naturally.
  • lauly06lauly06 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am also gettimg married at Festivities. We are not doing assigned seating for the reasons you stated... there just isnt enough room for a seating chart to go with the flow of the room. We are putting some tables outside to give people that option and also reserving some tables inside for family and bridal party.  Like PP said, not many people will stay seated for the entire wedding so that is something to keep im mind. HTH!
  • edited December 2011
    I probably wouldn't do a seating chart.  I'm not familiar with you venue, but from your description it seems like guest could just filter outside as needed.  Those who want to enjoy the weather, smokers, etc, may prefer to be outside, I'm sure others would much prefer to be inside.Like pp said, most people won't sit for very long, they'll  mingle.  I would just reserve the WP and family tables inside, then you don't have to worry about forcing people having to sit outside because of the seating chart--and it's one less thing for you to do :o)
  • TinaChoateTinaChoate member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am getting married at Festivities as well!! i am so glad to hear other people are! I don't think I am doing a seating chart besides the wedding party. It seems too complicated to have to put people together and all that and try to make it work.. especially with my family! How is the rest of your planning going?
  • ar2053ar2053 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I did a seating chart for my wedding, but as soon as I got to the reception I realized that it was a waste of my time. I recommend that you just reserve the 2 tables you suggested and let everyone else find their own seating.
  • MelB228MelB228 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My SIL got married at Festivities and had a seating chart and it worked very well, she had about 150 people there and there were 2 extra tables in case of overflow guests who didn't rsvp, but the tables weren't needed. She could have fit a few extra tables if she wanted to. They also did a sit down dinner, so seating charts were necessary. Unless you're having 200 plus guests then a seating chart would work well if you wanted it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards